Yun paper weight!

I have a Yun that I can't connect to via USB, it's access point, ethernet or any other conceivable way. I've written to support four times and received one response telling me to send a screen shot of the boot process but I can't upload the terminal application because it never gets past 'Uploading....'. What must I do to get this resolved?

wswhite:
I have a Yun that I can’t connect to via USB, it’s access point, ethernet or any other conceivable way. I’ve written to support four times and received one response telling me to send a screen shot of the boot process but I can’t upload the terminal application because it never gets past ‘Uploading…’. What must I do to get this resolved?

@wswhite,
do not fear. We (the volunteers) deal with this all the time. It will work or we will get you an RMA.

The following is a canned answer

= [Q:] I cannot connect to My Arduino Yún. What do I do? =

First it’s good to know, when Arduino Yun cannot find the AP you have set it for (like your home wifi), it has a script that puts it back into default SSID and AP mode.

Next, you may have already watched this video, but it’s worth watching again. Pay extra attention to the part with the sketches.
Getting started with Arduino Yún - tutorial (6:53)

Then, read the short instructions immediately below. We (the volunteer support group) already know these steps by heart, so be familiar with the different reboot methods, and especially the 30+ second wifi reset. Also, not mentioned on that page, if you reset the Wifi/Linux part of the Yun, it will take from 2-8 minutes for the reboot. Lastly on this part, YOU MUST WAIT for the Linux portion to fully boot BEFORE YOU PRESS ANY of the RESET buttons.

Resetting the processors (AR9331, WiFi, and 32U4)

Then start over, plug your Yun into the USB port, run this sketch, and hit the ‘‘Wifi Reset button’’ (for 5-10 seconds).

The YunSerialTerminal provides a simplified console access to the Linux part of the Yun. It works via the USB port (the one that powers the Yun - the microUSB). From there you’ll be able to run a few commands to give us a better idea of problems.

Also, be ready with this sketch YunWiFiStatus. This sketch will help us see the status of your home AP. The sketch prints the wifi status to the console every 5 seconds or so. This sketch might seem familiar as it was in that first video link (above).

Let us know how it goes.
Post results from the YunSerialTerminal, if you are still having problems.
Please use markup when posting results.

Jesse

Hello Jesse,

Thanks for responding. I've watched the video again but still haven't had any luck with the Yun. My problem is I cannot get the Yun to respond no matter how I attempt to connect. The Yun never shows up as an access point i.e. it's own network. It never shows up in my routers DHCP table. I can see the Yun on my MAC as /dev/cu.usbmodemfd121 but I can't upload a sketch it gets stuck on 'Uploading...'

I've reset the WIFI and waited 10 minutes. I've performed every method of reset there is. Again the Yun never presents itself as an AP and never appears in my routers DHCP table. If I leave the serial monitor open while attempting the different resets nothing is ever written to the monitor. When I'm connected via USB the USB led is not lit. The only two leds that are lit are the TX and ON. If I press the 32U4 reset button twice the TX led briefly flashes red maybe 10 seconds then back to orange.

I've had incidents where a particular usb device doesn't work properly with some devices so I've tried three different usb cables with no luck!

Thanks again,

Walt

@wswhite,
Some of the following is for people that will read this in the future.

On using the reset buttons, it a very tedious route to try. You should always use an egg timer to make sure that things timeout - otherwise it is a wasted effort. I think you have waited properly.

On never seeing the wifi, there are circumstances where the Linux side of the Yun gets stuck and never makes it to set the Wifi. This is cause on the USB side when a keystroke accidentally gets introduced to the Linux side, this could happen electronically - so a recent upgrade fixes this. However, since you are not get a proper response from the Linux side, if you have not upgrade - this will have to wait.

On not getting a response via USB when uploading, the most common cause is a bad cable. As copper price has gone up, manufactures have shipped USB cables that are ONLY intended for charging. Instead of a 4 wire cable, they ship a 2 wire cable - intended only for charging. I STRONGLY suggest you test ALL your USB cables completely. This has been a constant source of headaches for us.

On seeing things via the Monitor, this can be trick for new people - especially since the USB port MOVES when the cable is connected and disconnected. On my laptop, if I leave the Monitor window open and then disconnect the cable and then replug in the cable, the port moves. This action is not visible until I try to use the port again; it is not visible if you are just watching the Monitor window. TO FIX this issue, always close the Monitor window when you disconnect the USB cable.

On the LEDs, the total meaning is subjective. It is one of the more annoying features of the Yun - because sometimes the meaning has nothing to do with what is happening OR what one expects the LED to do (or how it should function). Here are some technical Notes on the LED. For this process, ignore the LEDs, unless we advise you othewise. Again - they don't work as many people expect!

So, let's start over. This first step is important.

• First make sure you have a USB cable with all the wires, as is usually expected, and not a cable only intended for charging.
  • Next, plug the Yun in the USB - make use you plug into the small (mini) USB plug on the Arduino.
  • Wait about 30 seconds for that side of the Yun to start.
  • Next upload the YunSerialTerminal. You'll find another copy in the IDE under: Files->Examples->Bridge->YunSerialTerminal
  • Once that starts open up the Serial Monitor. Make sure it is set to 9600.
  • Next wait the full 8 minutes for the Yun to boot the Linux side.
  • Now, hit the ''Wifi Reset button'' (for 5-10 seconds).

At this point, you should get something on the serial monitor within a few seconds. It will be the boot up sequence of the Linux side of the Yun.

Let us know how this goes either way.

TIA
Jesse

1. First make sure you have a USB cable with all the wires, as is usually expected, and not a cable only intended for charging. I'm using a stopwatch application on my phone for timing.

I'm using a cable that has data and charging capabilities. I tested it with my LEONARDO and my Samsung S5 phone.

1. Next, plug the Yun in the USB - make use you plug into the small (mini) USB plug on the Arduino.
    DONE

2. Wait about 30 seconds for that side of the Yun to start.
    DONE

3. Next upload the YunSerialTerminal. You'll find another copy in the IDE under: Files->Examples->Bridge->YunSerialTerminal
    DONE

4. Once that starts open up the Serial Monitor. Make sure it is set to 9600.
    DONE

5. Next wait the full 8 minutes for the Yun to boot the Linux side.
    DONE

Now, hit the ''Wifi Reset button'' (for 5-10 seconds).
DONE

Terminal window is set for 9600. Nothing ever displays in the terminal window and the IDE still shows 'Uploading...'

Sketch uses 5,890 bytes (20%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28,672 bytes.
Global variables use 455 bytes (17%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,105 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,560 bytes.

This should not be this difficult something must be wrong with the Yun. I have a MEGA ADK, MEGA, LEONARDO and UNO and have never experienced anything like this!

wswhite:
::::SNIP::::
Now, hit the ''Wifi Reset button'' (for 5-10 seconds).
DONE

Terminal window is set for 9600. Nothing ever displays in the terminal window and the IDE still shows 'Uploading...'

Sketch uses 5,890 bytes (20%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28,672 bytes.
Global variables use 455 bytes (17%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,105 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,560 bytes.

This should not be this difficult something must be wrong with the Yun. I have a MEGA ADK, MEGA, LEONARDO and UNO and have never experienced anything like this!

@wswhite,
you are correct. Something is not right. We may need to reset your Firmware. We will ask someone to help.

@Angelo9999,
What are your thoughts? Should we RMA this? Or is there something else we should try?

@Shapeshifter @SonnyYu,
Your thoughts?

Jesse

wswhite:

That means that step 4 has not completed successfuly. Try it a few times. I find that my Yun does not always "take" the Arduino program at the first try.

You could also try uploading the simple Blink example from the Arduino IDE.

...R

1. Reset Yun to factory default settings, after Yun is completed booted. To reset the OpenWrt-Yun distribution to its default state, press the WiFi reset button (WLAN RST) for at least 30 seconds. The board reverts to the original settings: like just taken out of the box or to the latest update of the OpenWRT image you have reflashed before. Among other things, this removes all installed files and network settings.

2. Connect ethernet cable between router and Yun.

3a. Get ip address of Yun via router LAN client list.

from vendor name of MAC Address "90:A2:DA" get GHEO SA (Arduino)

http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/?string=90%3AA2%3ADA

and get IP address of Yun.

3b. Get ip address of Yun via Bonjour Browser of android phone/pad

1. SSH Yun via Yun IP address.

2. Setup STA for managed (client) mode (WiFi client of router)

I've reset the factory settings a number of times with no luck but I figured one more time might be the difference. No such luck. The Yun never appears in my routers DCHP address table wired or wireless. I tried again to find it with Bonjour Browser but no luck there either. I've reset to the factory settings on this thing enough times my fingers hurt. I give.

RMA time.

Please and Thanks!

wswhite:
The only two leds that are lit are the TX and ON. If I press the 32U4 reset button twice the TX led briefly flashes red maybe 10 seconds then back to orange.

Maybe the atmega is sending something via serial communication and it is blocking the boot of the linux side. Did someone upload some sketch into the Atmega before you?

Try these steps:

• While the Yun is off, press and hold the 32u4 reset button.
  • Holding the reset button, turn on the Yun and keep the reset.
  • Release the reset button after about 20 seconds.
  • Wait 1 minute

Does the Yun boot?

Angelo9999:
Maybe the atmega is sending something via serial communication and it is blocking the boot of the linux side. Did someone upload some sketch into the Atmega before you?

Try these steps:

• While the Yun is off, press and hold the 32u4 reset button.
  • Holding the reset button, turn on the Yun and keep the reset.
  • Release the reset button after about 20 seconds.
  • Wait 1 minute

Does the Yun boot?

Very nice, learn something new every day!

Thanks a lot.

100 times better than standard method:

Angelo9999 your method was the solution! By all appearances the Yun was brand new from Radio Shit so I don't believe anything was uploaded to it. I did buy it when Radio Shit had them on sale for $34 so maybe that explains the great price, lol. Either way you solved my problem.

Note to anyone else using this method:

I had to do this twice. The first time it booted correctly I was able to configue the network parameters but when I disconnected the yun later and reconnected it I had the same problem again. I immediately disconnected the yun and again followed the steps Angelo9999 provided. Now it boots every time.

I appreciate everyone's help. It's been my experience in many forums that people tend to make one feel stupid. My favorite response is 'did you read the instructions' without a clue as to where or what! I didn't get that feeling here. Everyone was genuinely interested in helping!

Thanks again folks.

wswhite:
My favorite response is 'did you read the instructions' without a clue as to where or what!

I do understand how that can be frustrating. But looked at from the other side there are a great many people who don't, and who could solve their problem easily if they did so.

Glad you have a solution.

Just out of idle curiosity do you (or anyone else) think that @Angelo9999's solution is consistent with my comment in Reply #6. Or, put another way, if the upload at step 4 had worked properly maybe @Angelo9999's solution would not have been necessary.

...R

I was never able to upload anything to the Yun prior to using the solution provided by Angelo9999. I tried numerous sketchs even an empty sketch. Maybe others will/have had luck with your solution it just didn’t work for me. Thanks again.

Robin2:
I do understand how that can be frustrating. But looked at from the other side there are a great many people who don't, and who could solve their problem easily if they did so.

Glad you have a solution.

Just out of idle curiosity do you (or anyone else) think that @Angelo9999's solution is consistent with my comment in Reply #6. Or, put another way, if the upload at step 4 had worked properly maybe @Angelo9999's solution would not have been necessary.

...R

I think that some code was blocking serial communication and therefore the upload process from IDE. At the same time it was sending garbage to the linux processor, stopping the boot.

Or another combo can be: code using the serial communication to linux plus the absence of bootloader.

@wswhite: Did you upload any sketch when you configured the network? Through WiFi or USB cable?

Angelo9999:
I think that some code was blocking serial communication and therefore the upload process from IDE.

I know that my Leonardo can be a bit stubborn but I did not think it would be impossible to upload a new program.

This is one of those situations where input from the person/people who actually designed the system would be very useful. But they remain out of sight in their bunker.

...R

Robin2:
::::SNIP::::

...R

@Robin2,
actually, now that I look at it, Yes. I thought I had thought it out, but yes, there are times when you much upload and new sketch and the reboot. So, it turns out I did not have enough detail in my answer and, perhaps the answer that @Angelo9999 is another way to do the same. Yep, maybe I gave up on this toooo early, but I know I was thinking at the time - I did need more help.

Jesse