Yun Solar Tracker without LDRs

Hey Guys, I want to make a solar tracker out of yun most likely with DC motors, I've been doing a

research on arduino solar tracking algorithms and codes without the LDRs but there is only a few ones I

could find most prominent being Solar Arduino tracker – Happylab but it uses a timer chip

and we won't be needing that ofcourse. I wanted ask if anyone has attempted something similar or has

recommendations?

Astronomical Equations:

GPS and Yun

U. S. Naval Observatory, Sun Rise and Set time.

Declination Angle:

δ(n) = 57.296{0.006918− 0.399912cos(ω)+ 0.070257 sin(ω)− 0.006758cos(2ω) + 0.000907sin(2ω) − 0.002697 cos(3ω) +0.001480 sin(3ω)}
(6)

Where ω is the day angle in radian, (ω = 2π (n−1) /365)

Plan B:

Get accurate time

Using long wave time signal/synchronize with atomic clock is my favor.

fatihturhan:
I’ve been doing a research on arduino solar tracking algorithms and codes without the LDRs but there is only a few ones

Perhaps because it is easier (and consequently more sensible?) to use LDRs?

…R

I can't image how LDR's behave during solar eclipse. :wink:

sonnyyu:
I can't image how LDR's behave during solar eclipse. :wink:

I can't imagine them having a problem.
And it only lasts a short time and is very infrequent.

...R

Thanks guys and pepe I was thinking there must be a way :slight_smile:

For maintaining time in the event of a power outage or other reset, you can use a real-time clock module with battery back-up. These are pretty inexpensive, and I have one running on a networked temperature monitoring Arduino Uno.

thanks pepe, it all worked fine, now I can read time and date which are crucial for solar calculations.

Hey,

Have a look at PyEphem Home Page — PyEphem home page

Excerpt of the website :

Welcome!

PyEphem provides basic astronomical computations for the Python programming language. Given a date and location on the Earth’s surface, it can compute the positions of the Sun and Moon, of the planets and their moons,

Best Wishes
Leo