Yun Update

Hello,

I'm new to Linux.
Can anybody post step by step tutorial how to update the Yun's Linux OS with Win based PC System please?

I'm stuck with the Questions below:

1. How to format the SD Card that's readable with Yun and run the Update process
  2. Where exactly should be the the File (where is root? in C:/ or in C:/SomeFolder/) ?

Thanks,
Mav

I´m a new too but do this:

1. Download image from http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#toc8
  2. unzip
  3. copy to sd (if you have expanded your yun memory already copy to the only partition that you see on windows)
  4. insert sd
  5. Open a browser and connect to your YUN. You will see a orange warning on the button as describe here: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/YunSysupgrade Follow the instructions.
    The USB led (white) is going to turn on every time the boot process is finish now. You can check that.

6)Then you can expand your memory with an sd with http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ExpandingYunDiskSpace

Hello,

Well, Nr 3 and Nr 6 doesnt working.
I uploaded the Skech, but nothing happens when I insert SD Card in to Yuns SD Card Slot.

Where exactly should I copy the OS Files?

Regards,
Mav

Insert the sd card.
Go to "my computer" do u see it?

You dont have to upload any sketch.
Just open a Brower and type your YUN ip.

Canyou managed to connect you YUN to your router?

Maverick71, what do you mean with number 3 is not working? Can’t you copy a file on your uSD card? That’s all you need to do, just copy it, then plug that uSD card into the yun

Hello Federico,

I installed the Update now.
I need to reset the Yun Board completely that it recognise the SD Card with the Updater.

I also noticed there is a PW Recovery Problem.
If I mistype the PW the first Time, it doesnt accepts the correct PW anymore.
This happens to me several times.

I still have got a huge Problem.
The Atmega Part of the Yun Board needs 60+ Secs to boot.
Can this boot time shorten up to 1 Second like on another Arduino Boards?

Regards,
Maverick

Maverick71:
I also noticed there is a PW Recovery Problem.
If I mistype the PW the first Time, it doesnt accepts the correct PW anymore.
This happens to me several times.

Unfortunately, there are different places where you need to type a password. Which one are you talking about?

Maverick71:
The Atmega Part of the Yun Board needs 60+ Secs to boot.
Can this boot time shorten up to 1 Second like on another Arduino Boards?

If your sketch uses Bridge library and if those 60 seconds were measured when powering on the Yun, we can't do much: your sketch requires the linux side to be up&running and that takes about 60 seconds
Otherwise, I would check if your sketch has a while(!Serial); in its setup function, as that is a common mistake: you think your sketch is slow, while it required you to open a serial monitor to start.

Hello,

I meant the PW on LogIn to the Web GUI to YUN where the factory PW is "arduino"

Yes, I'm using the Brinde Library.
Obviuosly this causing the extended Boot times.

Thank You

Regards,
Maverick

Maverick71:
I meant the PW on LogIn to the Web GUI to YUN where the factory PW is "arduino"

So you need to reset root password: you can do this by uploading YunSerialTerminal, using putty to connect to COM/tty device, killing Bridge if the previous sketch used it (see the comments in the sketch) and, once you have linux prompt, type "passwd". It will ask you for a new password

Maverick71:
Yes, I'm using the Brinde Library.
Obviuosly this causing the extended Boot times.

Ah so yes, indeed, Bridge needs to wait for linux to start.

I was just scanning the new Yun postings and cam across this, a real forehead smacker!!! :

Otherwise, I would check if your sketch has a while(!Serial); in its setup function, as that is a common mistake: you think your sketch is slow, while it required you to open a serial monitor to start!.

My code that ran with the serial monitor open would not run after a power down and restart ( and not opening the serial monitor) "that's odd, that it doesn't run the code I just loaded before the power down? oh well... I'll look into that some day!"

Forums are the best! A good place to learn, even if you don't have a question!!

David Garrison