Yun wifi connectivity issues

Is The Yun plug and play like the rest of the product line. Or is this just me. My skill History, two years ago I listened to a story on National Public Radio about the Arduino, I found out that RadioShack sold them and purchased one along with the RadioShack kit of components. I quickly went through all the sketches and graduated to more difficult projects.

I am not an electrical engineer and Associate the Arduino as an adult Tinkertoy set. I probably own $1500 worth of sensors shields, Mega, micro and everything else that goes with it.

I purchased Yun A month or two ago and had nothing but issues getting it working properly here's what I have so far

I can upload a sketch to it when plugged into USB. My router recognizes the Yun when plugged into an ethernet cable. And have been able to run the sketches which require the Internet i.e. the time and the Arduino logo. I cannot get the Wi-Fi working on the Yun. I have never seen the conductivity LED flash for the Wi-Fi network on board the Yun. I then purchased another router brand-new technology, still the same result. did everything I could to the Linksys router even called Linksys to help with port forwarding (they were no help) I'm not even sure I have the proper port numbers plugged into the router.

Perhaps the Yun is an advanced product Beyond my capabilities I don't even know what I want to make with it, I just want it to work. I'm unsure that my skill set can accomplish this.

Mark

markgrecowork: ::::SNIP::::

I can upload a sketch to it when plugged into USB. My router recognizes the Yun when plugged into an ethernet cable. And have been able to run the sketches which require the Internet i.e. the time and the Arduino logo. I cannot get the Wi-Fi working on the Yun. I have never seen the conductivity LED flash for the Wi-Fi network on board the Yun. I then purchased another router brand-new technology, still the same result. did everything I could to the Linksys router even called Linksys to help with port forwarding (they were no help) I'm not even sure I have the proper port numbers plugged into the router.

Perhaps the Yun is an advanced product Beyond my capabilities I don't even know what I want to make with it, I just want it to work. I'm unsure that my skill set can accomplish this.

Mark

@markgrecowork,

Have you watched this video? If not, it is a good place to start.

Getting started with Arduino Yun - tutorial (6:53) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-hPhWHWnvs

Otherwise, please re-label the subject with something like, "Yun wifi connectivity problems."

"difficulty with my Yun", is generic. Very generic, it is the purpose of this forum.

In any case, watch the video. Then come back after you've tried. FWIW: the wifi LED does not work the way more people think it does.

There is more help, if you cannot connect. Jesse

Thanks a bunch for your reply, I have changed the topic that does make sense to me.

I have viewed your YouTube suggestion and many others in regards to getting started with the Yun.

I should also add that this is my second Yun. I return the first one thinking that it had some sort of defect.

Last night I went back and did the following things. I held the Wi-Fi reset button for 35 seconds and reinstalled the flash program. I reconfigured the Wi-Fi network in the Yun configuration panel. I am patient usually waiting 5 to 9 minutes before reacting. After that full reset I do the 10 second reset and can then view the Yun on my Wi-Fi router control panel or what they call the device list.

Still unable to see the port within the Arduino software.

I must tell you one time I was able to see the Wi-Fi port within the Arduino IDE. There have been times when I can see the Yun on my iPhone, iPad, and windows laptops. This usually happens after a 10 second reset.

I am a very patient person and willing to learn. Maybe we can just blame this on Windows 8. 64 bit

Also remember to dumb it down when throwing out the technical jargon

Thank you very much

Mark

markgrecowork: ::::SNIP:::: I must tell you one time I was able to see the Wi-Fi port within the Arduino IDE. There have been times when I can see the Yun on my iPhone, iPad, and windows laptops. This usually happens after a 10 second reset.

I am a very patient person and willing to learn. Maybe we can just blame this on Windows 8. 64 bit

Also remember to dumb it down when throwing out the technical jargon

::::SNIP::::

@markgrecowork, Windows can definitely be a problem. You might also consider turning off the automatic update "feature/bug" that is standard to new M$ OS. I've done the same on my Linux Ubuntu, and will do the same on an Mac Laptop when I get it.

As for the original problem, I just upgraded and am having similar problems to what other people have reported. I think there are a host of bugs in 1.6.4, namely because we went from 1.6.1 to 1..64 in less than a month.

When you are ready, we'll walk through getting you up and running.

Jesse

What about holding off for a Yun software upgrade? I could be a guinypig....

If we start I will have to jump back and forth and it could take hours between posts..

Your call IM READY!!!!

BTW THANKS!

markgrecowork:
What about holding off for a Yun software upgrade? I could be a guinypig…

If we start I will have to jump back and forth and it could take hours between posts…

Your call IM READY!!!

BTW THANKS!

@markgrecowork,

Okay, baby steps. There are three (3) sketches you should be familiar with, not only for this troubleshooting, but in general. These sketches will go a long way.

• WiFiStatus.ino - gives us the general status of the Wifi; See below.
  • YunSerialTerminal.ino - is a console hooked directly to the Linux side of the YUN. We will use it for general debugging
  • Bridge.ino - is a sketch that allows us to manipulate the electronics on the Atmel side of the Yun(the part that blinks the LEDS, and takes measurements from connected devices.)

Sample Output from WiFiStatus.ino

root@Arduino:~# /usr/bin/pretty-wifi-info.lua
Current WiFi configuration
SSID: Arduino Yun-90A2DAF80A22
Mode: Master
Signal: 100%
Encryption method: None
Interface name: wlan0
Active for: 32 minutes
IP address: 192.168.240.1/255.255.255.0
MAC address: 90:A2:DA:F8:0A:22
RX/TX: 71/171 KBs

So let’s just try the easiest, because you don’t do much, except upload the sketch and open the Serial Monitor in the IDE. That sketch is WiFiStatus.ino

• Start the IDE, the load the sketch by File->Examples->Bridge->WiFiStatus.
  • Upload the sketch to the Yun
  • Next Open the Serial Monitor Tools->Serial Monitor

You should see output similar to what is above. You might have to give it a [Carriage Return] in the input box (top of window). Cut and paste the output here.
Please use markup (see attached image)

TIA
Jesse

arduino_markup.png

I was unable to Right Click and Copy / Paste from the Serial Monitor.

Using the USB Cable to connect
Yun not showing up on the WiFi panel on the laptop or iPhone
Shows up in the routers device list

I attached a screenshot

markgrecowork: Yun not showing up on the WiFi panel on the laptop or iPhone

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the Yun doesn't show up as an available WiFi network when you scan for wireless networks? If so, that's correct, as it is not acting as an access point, it's currently a client.

Look at the output you posted, here are the interesting items:

• Mode: Client - this says that the Yun is not generating it's own network, it is a client that is connected to an existing network.
  • SSID: Linksys - this is the name of the network to which it's connected.
  • Signal: 82% - you've got a good strong signal
  • Active For: 7 minutes - it's not zero, do you are actually connected
  • IP Address: 192.168.1.149/255.255.255.0 - this is the address of your Yun

So, it looks like your network is properly configured. As long as your computer is connected to the same network named "Linksys" you should be able to connect to the Yun using address 192.168.1.149

Now, it may still not show up int the IDE menu - that's a common problem shared by lots of people, and I'm not aware of a reliable solution at this time.

YES YOUR CORRECT IN THE STATEMENT BELOW!!

Now, it may still not show up int the IDE menu - that's a common problem shared by lots of people, and I'm not aware of a reliable solution at this time.

when I connect to the Internet via ethernet Cable and USB connection it seems to work great. I know I'm not as tech is everyone but I didn't realize or thought I realized that it was working properly when wired up to both USB and ethernet.

I have said before that I am very patient.

Do you think this issue can be fixed or should I just use the unit connected with USB and ethernet.

By the way you have both boosted my confidence level. You can't imagine how defeated I felt. Still love the challenge though.

markgrecowork: Do you think this issue can be fixed or should I just use the unit connected with USB and ethernet.

For the first part, I sure hope someone finds a fix. For the second part, that's how I use it during development: USB & Ethernet.

@markgrecowork,

it appears your wifi is working. And as Shapeshifter said, “So, it looks like your network is properly configured”. The next step is to find a task to do. What would you like to try?

Jesse

As Jessie suggested I'm going to use it plugged into the usb and if needed the Ethernet cable.

Going to try to make a wifi lelilin light control.

I will wait for a update, it seems the group is on this and it will be corrected soon.

I will post a pic of my project and thanks a bunch!

I found the tutorial in the bridge examples had a great time with that it worked perfectly

After uploading I disconnect from the computer connect to a separate power source everything seems to work great although I can't get serial connection.

I'll check the website often for updates

Thank you everybody for your help

markgrecowork: I found the tutorial in the bridge examples had a great time with that it worked perfectly

After uploading I disconnect from the computer connect to a separate power source everything seems to work great although I can't get serial connection.

I'll check the website often for updates

Thank you everybody for your help

@markgrecowork,

You started with

Is The Yun plug and play like the rest of the product line. Or is this just me.

This was never answered. The answer is neither. The Yun is NOT like the rest of the Arduino product line.

The Arduino Guide will show some difference, especially in the Differences from the Arduino Leonardo

Another big difference is in the reboot or Resetting the processors (AR9331, WiFi, and 32U4). Unmentioned there is the 2-8 minute reboot time.

As such, the largest single difference you seem to have been experiencing is the long boot time.

I would suggest you download an egg timer or stopwatch for your phone. This way you can time the expected delay. I have found this to be helpful... especially when there are multiple ways in which multiple processors can hang the entire system.

On that, it might be useful to read How to improve reboot/reset stability

Best of Luck, Jesse

markgrecowork: After uploading I disconnect from the computer connect to a separate power source everything seems to work great although I can't get serial connection.

If you are disconnected from the computer, how are you expecting to get a serial connection?

in this case i just wanted to use the browser to control pin 13 as in the bridge example. here is what i did.

uploaded the bridge sketch to the Yun using the micro USB connected to my windows laptop.

on my iPhone using chrome i inserted 192.168.1.100/arduino/digital/13/0 into the browser

and the led went off.. i made it go on using /1 at the end.

so thinking i some how had a wired connection doing the control i unplugged the Yun from the computer and powered it using a power bank.

YES NO Serial, but remember i didn't think i had the skill set to even get this Yun running. as i said before i have patience and will wait it out for a software update.

In sorry, I still don't understand: do you have a problem? Is so, please explain what you are expecting and what is actually happening. From what you describe, it sounds like everything is working as expected?

ShapeShifter:
In sorry, I still don’t understand: do you have a problem? Is so, please explain what you are expecting and what is actually happening. From what you describe, it sounds like everything is working as expected?

@ShapeShifter, I’m lost too on this one. Jesse

I cannot upload a sketch via wireless connection.

the Yun does not show up in the serial port using Wireless.

Does that make sense?

markgrecowork: Does that make sense?

Yes. A better phrasing of your statement could be:

I cannot upload a sketch via the wireless connection because the Yun's network port doesn't show up in the Port menu

While the menu is called "Port" it's not just serial ports that are listed there. Using the term "serial" while trying to use a strictly wireless connection is what is confusing here - it has nothing to do with any serial port.

A networked Yun not showing up on the port menu is a VERY common complaint, if you poke around the recent posts in this forum you'll find a lot of discussion about it. There are some tips that help some people, but so far I've not heard of a universal fix that works all the time for all of the people.