Z-axle value problem

Hello, I have arduino uno R3 and cnc shield v3.51. cnc controllers are three pieces A4988.
Problem is then i have test my laser engraver. All motors moves very well and laser head working. i have little problem with driving machine at zero point a corner with switches. Then suddenly all programs show Z-axle value 2147491,000. Porgam send warning sign and any motors not moving. Laser head not working.

How i can fix this problem?

laser control PWM i take spindle pin (pwm).

I put couple pictures this below problem and junction box.

Thank you all!

Z-axle value 2147491,000

That looks awfully close to a signed 32 bit rollover (2,147,483,647)

Does it only show that when it hits the limit switches ?

Also do you have the limit switches AND homing turned on as there are two settings for it ?

Which version of GRBL ?

It show always same Z-axle value. Limit switches response then i push them finger with Universal Gcode platform program setup wizard mode. Home action its turned on then program start, but laser not drive home att all. I think i have install Y+ and X+ limit switches too? Z-axle stepper driver not installed CNC shield. because This is only two axle. Y axle are two motors and other are Y place and other A place. Jumpers are moved double Y axis.

Grbl its 1.1f.

This CNC shield are Pololu drivers, but i think this could work Grbl too? am i wrong? i am beginner with arduino controls... :slight_smile:

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
That looks awfully close to a signed 32 bit rollover (2,147,483,647)

What you mean? Cnc shield broken or what? :slight_smile:
I Remember then im working with punching machine. Then Finnpower e5 hit some axle over limit. That axle rolling by the hand backwards. that happens several thunderstorm. Only this laser cutter not z-axle att all. :smiley:

Transformer it is some kind chinese 230V 1.8A → 12V 5A. This use laser head and cnc shield too. i read laser head need lot of current.

It sounds like the hardware is suitable for what you need to do.

Generally at this level of usage the Z "AXIS" does not need to operate at all but simply hold a fixed position over the work piece.

As for setting that distance I simply use a piece of wood sanded to the thickness needed to set the lasers focal point and put it between the laser and the workpiece so it only just touches (super simple and very effective)

Using limit switches that you add yourself may cause some "random" problems unless they are using shielded cables and are also filtered.
See here for help with that.

If you are only using it for LASER work then LASERGRBL would be a better choice.
Its simplicity does almost all the work for you.
Just show it a dimensioned shape or even a picture Maybe a couple of visual tweaks and tell it to go !

Mine is currently doing this part on pine wood

ballscrewbob:
It sounds like the hardware is suitable for what you need to do.

Generally at this level of usage the Z "AXIS" does not need to operate at all but simply hold a fixed position over the work piece.

As for setting that distance I simply use a piece of wood sanded to the thickness needed to set the lasers focal point and put it between the laser and the workpiece so it only just touches (super simple and very effective)

Using limit switches that you add yourself may cause some "random" problems unless they are using shielded cables and are also filtered.
See here for help with that.

If you are only using it for LASER work then LASERGRBL would be a better choice.
Its simplicity does almost all the work for you.
Just show it a dimensioned shape or even a picture Maybe a couple of visual tweaks and tell it to go !

Mine is currently doing this part on pine wood

HI, i buy this whole laser in China and i noticed laser China made controller doesn´t work some programs which i put .gcode file. I can engrave machine, but not cut. I ordered here in Finland Partco.fi company this Arduino stuff and this works very well those programs untill z-axle program become. I try update China firmware but it doesnt work. Example laser grbl detected machine att all. I tried now laser grbl, but program says same as other programs that z-axle value. I use NO switches wihout capacitors and resistors. I can wiring those switches NC too. I read att some people use NO switches this kind lasers... Chinese switches are NO too...

I searching Arduino IDE program with my machine and i have this kind error message:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Kortti:"Arduino Uno"

In file included from C:\Users\antti\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/config.h:30:0,

from C:\Users\antti\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_687719\grblUpload.ino:1:

C:\Users\antti\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:68:4: error: #error "Required HOMING_CYCLE_0 not defined."

#error "Required HOMING_CYCLE_0 not defined."

^~~~~

C:\Users\antti\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:108:4: error: #error "WCO refresh must be greater than one."

#error "WCO refresh must be greater than one."

^~~~~

C:\Users\antti\Documents\Arduino\libraries\grbl/grbl.h:111:4: error: #error "Override refresh must be greater than zero."

#error "Override refresh must be greater than zero."

^~~~~

exit status 1

Error compiling for board Arduino Uno.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

OK so it seems you want to upgrade GRBL on the board.

I need to see a LINK to the exact machine you bought please as there are some boards out there that are harder to upgrade than others but they are in the minority.

Use the forums SEARCH function as there are a few posts about upgrading GRBL to 1,1.
Using the IDE is always prefered for this so you are on the right track there.

As for "some" g-code programs working and others not that could be in how you are generating the g-code.
That's why I like laser grbl program in that it is specific to laser work.

So lets see what you have exactly and try get you to grbl 1.1 as that would b my first priority.

Arduino Uno not allowed me upgradet the firmware. I try it, but error message shows up. I copied that message with above. Error message show z-axis too high too.

This is link a machine with 30W laser head. Machine work and engraved only clipart pictures, but not cutting att all. Description seems it can cutting too original controller, but machine controller works only program which come with machine.

I have Z-axle too laser grbl program. Program shows z-axle value too high and warning shows up. I cant control machine.

This is my first arduino project. So i am beginner.

This is some picture original controller, but it not allowed cutting. I have to cut some project and carving too.

So far I cannot see where a UNO is involved and it looks like an ESP is used which is NOT an AVR.
This link gives off very little help.
Are you trying to replace the original controller with an Arduino ?

That type of laser engraver would certainly not be my first choice although te laser head looks like it would be a good choice at 40 watt.

ballscrewbob:
So far I cannot see where a UNO is involved and it looks like an ESP is used which is NOT an AVR.
This link gives off very little help.
Are you trying to replace the original controller with an Arduino ?

That type of laser engraver would certainly not be my first choice although te laser head looks like it would be a good choice at 40 watt.

Yes, i take off all original controller because original controller not working with program which use . gcode files. Only clipart pictures etc.

I buy original arduino uno and cnc shield here in Finland. I trying change original controller use grbl, but it doesnt work.
I need cut and engrave specific measurement gaskets and some other work. Im thinking give seller feedback cheating description infomation to product. maybe i buy more expensive laser cutter my work purposes.