Zalman Reserator XT

I want to rip my Reserator XT apart and change the circuit board because off the crappy reset function upon a error (It just beeps.) and stops pumping (although the water is pumping great its the flow meter thats rong) NOT GOOD :P i mostly run it in setup mode where it starts the pump again and keeps beeping. That triggers the flowmeter to go again most of the time. It beeps because of the flow meter that is stuck every day orso (use to be every 5minutes :( but i cleaned the flow meter)

I want to control/monitor everything in the reserator such as. Pump, flow meter, waterlevel, temps, leds, backlight, fans, fan speed.

I do have a idea to begin but i thought is it possible to read fan speed and the flow meter for feedback. I also want a alarm that is less annoying (because i don't wanna wake up when it on a error again... So i want to sens if the pc is on. and then retry to starting it. atleast pump. for a 5min. and then stop and error. or shutdown (+ shutdown pc after 2min.)

I have a 12v power supply wich does not come from the pc so it is on al the time.

Maybe as I'm doing that put a TMP36 tempsensor in my PC for extra info. and maybe even a fan in the pc that turns on when the watercooling can't cool it down (although i don't think its needed)

I want to have water cooling again because of the temperature's here right now it's 35'c degrees this week...

That may by bigger than your current knowledge level but the Arduino can do it.

"Pump, flow meter, waterlevel, temps, leds, backlight, fans, fan speed."

Pump: The Arudino can control a relay, solid state relay or can drive a motor control IC. Very simple

Flowmeter, don't care how it does it as long as it's compatible with the fluid. It's output may be PWM and may vary by frequency or pulsewidth. It can be a current output either scaled 0-20milliamps or 4-20 milliamps It can be voltage 0-5 or 0-10. The easiest to use will be 0-5V but they are expensive. Note, 0-20, 4-20ma and 0-10V need other parts or they won't work or will damage themselves or the Arduino.

For a simple go no-go you can read a PWM one and if the signal stops shutdown the PC with a relay closure or kill power with a relay. You can read the pulses it puts out as rpm and if it's calibrated you can calculate the flow rate.

Waterlevel: You will need to find a water level sensor that can output 0-5V, 0-10V, 0-20ma or 4-20ma. If all you need is a water level low alarm a float and a switch on an Arduino digital pin will do. Note, 0-20, 4-20ma and 0-10V need other parts or they won't work or will damage themselves or the Arduino.

Temp: The Arduino has one ADC that can read an analog signal of 0-5 volts. If you get a temperature sensor that puts out 0-5V you can hook it up direct, 0-10v will take extra parts. The other option is to use a temperature device that can communicate digitally. Note, 0-20, 4-20ma and 0-10V need other parts or they won't work or will damage themselves or the Arduino.

Backlight: if an LED or LED array, use a transistor and it will go on/off, use a PWM and you can dim it. Ifi it's some other backlight your options may be more limited.

Fan control: you can turn them on, turn them off, or set the speed of them with the PWM function of the Arduino and a transistor.

Fan RPM: you can read the RPM of a fan using a digital input and an interrupt.

You can run LEDs direct off a digital pin but you only get so many. You could run 8 LEDs off of a shift register chip and a text LCD to display temperature, fan speed, etc.

Power: You'll probably need external power to run this in addition to the Arduino power.

What you need to know

Pump: Voltage and current needed by the motor that runs the pump. You'll need to know unloaded, loaded and stalled.

Flow-meter, Water-level, Temp Fan Specifications of the one you'll use

You'll need an Arduino. You should probably get a kit with it, some LEDs, resistors, switches, potentiometer and a bread board. This will allow you to learn how to use it.

You will learn about microcontrollers and programming along with circuit design and fabrication.

I've most likely forgotten something.

the electronics won't realy be the problem i guess it more the connection to/from the arduino and the coding.

I have never used interupts before so thats a new one.

I do have a seprate 12v powersuply

finaly cracked it open and it's still at use... I found t uses a "Atmega168p" :P smd IC. Is it possible to get the original code (hex) of the chip (just to be sure i can restore it) wil begin testing what pin what is what tonight.

Would be really nice to if it works. I will make a nice Tut from it. so it can be done by everybody.

Can i burn a boot loader on there using a other arduino board or MAX232 and code it with that?

UPDATE: desolderd the buzzer :P because its making me nuts :P flow meter is broken... there is a way arround it. just hold reset untill the pump starts working and before the buzzer/blinking light go's off it annoying but he then it works :D. orderd a new flow meter do...

I also found out that (wierdly) the water-inlet of the flow meter is on the underside of the flow meter so if anny crap gets in it it will stay there maybe that how mine died...

it because of air (wich goes upwards :P) offcourse but its kind of wierd...

Is it possible to run the motor the otherway arround... not for speed but for removing bubbles and such.

Well i'll be off to work now!

i founf out is no a normal Atml 168p nut a “ATmega168p-16AU”
wich don’t has much info on it.

it has 16 pins on all 4 sides of the square IC… helpme!

Well there is no mention of a ATmega168p-16AU on the Atmel site so are you sure it is that type. There are plenty of others with the AU suffix however. The ATmega64- AU is in the same quad 64 pin flat pack (TQFP) but that's not to say it is the same pin out. You could try sending Atmel an email.

i'll make a picture when i get home and mail it to atmel for a pinout or .pdf

i'll post it here to :D

its a ATmega169p-16AU

2 Questions - how do i get the original program. (just for reflashing it if i want to use the normal software again). - how to install arduino bootloader if possible?

I will have to figure the pins useage out and then i can program my own watercooled pc

I still have to post my pictures but hé its 04:03 in the morning :D

BUT i took it apart and found: JTAG (10 connections). ISP (6 connections). and a 16mhz crystal.

I don't have an isp programmer but I read somewhere it can be done with a arduino to...

Please help i would love to mod this "old bitch" :P :P

To get the orignal code from the chip you would have to have the flash dumped. This is typically expensive and you have to provide a few samples. To dump the flash they use whats known as a FIB (Fusion Ion Beam) to rebuild the security bits built into the atmel.

To install the arduino boot loader you can use several home brew el cheapo programmer and just solder wires to the correct pins. Not pretty but should work.

I have just send a e-mail to zalman to ask if could just get the Hex file
and I’ve asked for the devices pinuse of the atmel chip if they give me that i would be really happy :smiley:

(like its gonna happen but hé asking gives me a change).
the chip
!(http://hcor3.nl/res (1).JPG)

the jtag and isp headers
!(http://hcor3.nl/res (2).JPG)

!(http://hcor3.nl/res (3).JPG)

you can see here that I removed the beeper
!(http://hcor3.nl/res (4).JPG)

I'm going to take the whole thing apart and mod it into my Brand new "Cooler Master CM Storm Sniper" case. I'm jyst gonna rip the the pump and radiator out and put in the new case offcoure I'll save the rest of the reserator so i can put it togeter again someday

so I don't need the atmega169 for that i'm not gonnan use a micro controller.

I would like to desolder the atmega169 and find out how to use it someday.