zip file won't load

I downloaded this GitHub - rodan/ds3231: arduino library for DS3231 RTC to my downloads folder. On the Arduino 1.6.7, I clicked sketch, include library, then add .zip library. When I selected the downloads folder and tried to open it, I got this; specified folder/zip file does not contain a valid library.

I expected to open the downloads folder and select the 3231 library.

I’ve been at for quite awhile and am at my wits end. Anybody willing to take a stab at what the problem is?

saltyjoe: I downloaded this https://github.com/rodan/ds3231 to my downloads folder. On the Arduino 1.6.7, I clicked sketch, include library, then add .zip library. When I selected the downloads folder and tried to open it, I got this; specified folder/zip file does not contain a valid library.

I expected to open the downloads folder and select the 3231 library.

I've been at for quite awhile and am at my wits end. Anybody willing to take a stab at what the problem is?

I still use V1.6.5, so it might be a version-specific problem, but I just downloaded then installed it using "Add .ZIP Library..." and it installed fine and one of the examples compiled without errors.

I don't like installing this way because instead of showing "DS3231", the IDE shows "DS3231-master", so I usually rename the folder and manually install. Still, it should have worked.

Have you tried unzipping the folder and manually installing it in "\Sketchbook\libraries"? (The library is definitely a "valid library".)

I've just tried and it worked for me, v1.6.7 on Windows 8.1. Like OldSteve I never use this method, I just install libraries manually too.

1.06 here. Yes, just do it manually. .

Thanks you guys. When I click sketchbooks, a handful of sketches appear. I tried to drag the uncompressed files to it but could not get there. Really not sure how to manually install this thing.

Open Explorer, go in Documents/Arduino/libraries and extract zip folder here

guix: Open Explorer, go in Documents/Arduino/libraries and extract zip folder here

Has the default 3rd party library location changed? It used to be "\Sketchbook\libraries", (with V1.6.5, at least).

In the library name, the dash - cannot be there. It needs to be changed to an underscore _ . This has gotten me more than a few times so what I am doing is to change that IMMEDIATELY AFTER downloading the library !! Hope that helps !! Tom

OldSteve:
Has the default 3rd party library location changed? It used to be “\Sketchbook\libraries”, (with V1.6.5, at least).

The sketchbook folder gets different names sometimes.

Delta_G:
The sketchbook folder gets different names sometimes.

Right. Thanks for clearing that up. I can only go by V1.6.5 - it’s the only one I’ve ever used.