Cheapest WiFi Module?

ok, thats nice, but what about the other hundreds of low cost wifi wireless-N chips that are already in production on sale since 2012. it seems most of these wifi chip companies have very poor marketing at best. It is just hard to find them. but there is already plenty that are producing hundreds of thousands of these wifi chips, they are turning up in 1,000s of different consumer products throughout 2013. please post them here if you happen to have the time to search for them and identify any.

ESP8266

You can find them on ebay for less than $4. Here's a video reviewing the module:

I bought a pack of 5 esp8266's from eBay last week and received them in just a couple of days. I paid $2.69 each plus $2.25 shipping. Can't beat that!

JasonA419:
ESP8266

You can find them on ebay for less than $4. Here's a video reviewing the module:

5$ Arduino WiFi Module!? ESP8266 mini Tutorial/Review - YouTube

wow, the video shows that there are some GPIO's available so you can do some of the work without needed to ever use an arduino.

Another good video below. I think the ESP8266 will quickly replace/obsolete the arduino wifi shield as a wifi option. Had to get an ESP8266 on ebay last night to tinker with. I like the standard serial TTL interface.

I may be a bit late to the thread, but hopefully this infographic helps anyone looking for a bluetooth/wifi module.

http://blog.upverter.com/post/102628581542/wireless-modules

I have just publish an instructable for a complete Arduino Wifi Shield, 5V and 3.3V compatible with pushbutton webpage configuration for network ssid and password and IP address/portNo for <US$12.00

Very Cheap/Simple WiFi Shield for Arduino and microprocessors

The project is also available at www.pfod.com.au

ESP8266 is the cheapest option I found. It has about 12 different models and average cost is about $4. It is serial link and modules even have inbuilt GPIO's and a uc in which firmware could be loaded

You have stumbled across a very old thread.

By now, I think everybody realises that the ESP8266 has obsoleted any other Wi-Fi attachment for Arduinos and indeed, replaces the Arduino itself in almost all such applications.