Library for TLC5940 16-channel PWM chip

Good day all and Hopefully I can be pointed into the correct direction. I tried using the search function but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Currently my friend and I are trying to build a dancing light bar. We have a RGB LED Strip, some TLC5940NT's and are slowly building this. We got the TLC Chip via this tutorial to dance standard LED Lights. However, we wish to move to highscale and do not wish to blow the Arduino. I am wondering how we can push 12V via the diagram in the tutorial for these chips without hurting the arduino.

We wish to learn as much as we can on our own. However, we are both Programmers trying to learn all of this.

Good day all and Hopefully I can be pointed into the correct direction. I tried using the search function but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Currently my friend and I are trying to build a dancing light bar. We have a RGB LED Strip, some TLC5940NT's and are slowly building this. We got the TLC Chip via this tutorial to dance standard LED Lights. However, we wish to move to highscale and do not wish to blow the Arduino. I am wondering how we can push 12V via the diagram in the tutorial for these chips without hurting the arduino.

We wish to learn as much as we can on our own. However, we are both Programmers trying to learn all of this.

Check out this link. http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/slva280
The transistor method is definitely less expensive but a lot more tricky, especially if you have RGB.

Although my guess is you've either fried everything or found a working solution :stuck_out_tongue:

not yet we kind of shelved it for now.
thanks for the pdf we will see if we can unshelve this and continue with making light goodness :slight_smile:

any help will be greatly appreciated.

There were some people mentioning in this thread that they were trying to control small vibrating motors with the TLC5940. Did anyone had any results? I am trying to do the same with some of those that are 2,3 V and 85 mA. I need to hook up 16 of those. Although I can control their intensity-speed when I try to use the fade functions they don't seem to respond.
any ideas??

The most useful functions:

Hello all,

Does someone know if it's possible to use 21 daisy-chained TLC5940 (just daisy-chain, not multiplexing) with an Arduino? All the TLCs would be on the same PCB to avoid too long wires... In the datasheet, TI says that the limit is 40, but what in real life?

Thank you for your answers!

hey a new one here :smiley:
i wished i get only the half of that informations.
i just recieved the tlc5940 and tried the first examples.
they also worked but i do not really understand how the code works, maybe someone could helf my explain the commandos. :s
After understanding them i want to controle RGBs (like more or less everybody else :wink: )but thats shouldn't be your probleme.
i do not have any sample code because everything i tried didnt worked.
So i think i first should start understand the basics of that IC and thats where i nead YOUR help :slight_smile:
loooking forward
max

PS: sorry for my english

hi acleone :slight_smile: i was wondering if with the TLC5940Mux library, can i add more that 8 rows?? if so can you tell how?? plz?? (obviously im a noob so...)

because i want to have like 50 rows...