[MOD] Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC

AlxDroidDev:

eried:
What Louis Davis says seems to be correct. You maybe require the JDK in 32 bits. About: "AVRdude version 5.10 instead of the newer 5.11" can you tell me how to check this, I am still confused since you (or someone) commented this weeks ago.

Thanks. I'll try and install the 32-bit JRE.

Eried, I gave the 32-bit JRE a try. I have GOOD and bad news. Let's go to the bad news first.

Here's what I did:
Totally uninstalled JAVA from my notebook (I had JSE + JRE for Java 6 and 7.0.10)

Then I installed:
(1st) JRE 7.0.15 32-bit
(2nd) JSE + JRE 7.0.15 64-bit

Still it didn't run, and this is the bad news. Checking the log file, I noticed it was correctly looking for the JRE I had installed, but I only found the 64-bit JRE.

What I did then was to remove the JAVA folder from the Arduino ERW folder and then create a symlink to the 32-bit JRE.

To do this, open a command prompt as administrator and issue the commands:

CD "C:\Devel\Arduino 1.0.3 ERW" This is where I have my ERW IDE installed.
MKLINK /d java "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7"

Then I ran Arduino ERW and... SUCCESS!

Based on my experience, I'd like to make 2 suggestions:

• Either force Arduino ERW to look for a 32-bit JRE (and ignore any 64-bit JRE, since it won't work)
  • or Let the use specify what JRE to use (either through the command line or in an INI file, like eclipse does in the eclipse.ini file)

This way users won't have to resort to the gimmick I did, which was to use the mklink. MKLINK has been present in Windows for a long time, first from the Resource Kits and them they started being shipped with Vista. Not many people, however, know about it. MKLINK works just like the symlink stuff from Linux.

Thanks again for all the attention and keep up the good work.

Hi eried,

can you please verify this bug in editor window? Scenario:

After pressing the Replace All button the editor hangs. I must kill the process in task manager. It works fine in official v1.0.3 IDE.

qwertysimo

Another one?

In editor, when you have more opened tabs with saved contents, switching between tabs indicates change in code by adding asterix after tab name but there was no actual change made.

AlxDroidDev:

AlxDroidDev:

eried:
What Louis Davis says seems to be correct. You maybe require the JDK in 32 bits. About: "AVRdude version 5.10 instead of the newer 5.11" can you tell me how to check this, I am still confused since you (or someone) commented this weeks ago.

Thanks. I'll try and install the 32-bit JRE.

Eried, I gave the 32-bit JRE a try. I have GOOD and bad news. Let's go to the bad news first.

Here's what I did:
Totally uninstalled JAVA from my notebook (I had JSE + JRE for Java 6 and 7.0.10)

Then I installed:
(1st) JRE 7.0.15 32-bit
(2nd) JSE + JRE 7.0.15 64-bit

Still it didn't run, and this is the bad news. Checking the log file, I noticed it was correctly looking for the JRE I had installed, but I only found the 64-bit JRE.

What I did then was to remove the JAVA folder from the Arduino ERW folder and then create a symlink to the 32-bit JRE.

To do this, open a command prompt as administrator and issue the commands:

CD "C:\Devel\Arduino 1.0.3 ERW" This is where I have my ERW IDE installed.
MKLINK /d java "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7"

Then I ran Arduino ERW and... SUCCESS!

Based on my experience, I'd like to make 2 suggestions:

• Either force Arduino ERW to look for a 32-bit JRE (and ignore any 64-bit JRE, since it won't work)
  • or Let the use specify what JRE to use (either through the command line or in an INI file, like eclipse does in the eclipse.ini file)

This way users won't have to resort to the gimmick I did, which was to use the mklink. MKLINK has been present in Windows for a long time, first from the Resource Kits and them they started being shipped with Vista. Not many people, however, know about it. MKLINK works just like the symlink stuff from Linux.

Thanks again for all the attention and keep up the good work.

Nice, I will see what can I do, mainly I am just using the launcher the oficial IDE created (my modifications are VERY Little there) but I will check.

qwertysimo:
Hi eried,

can you please verify this bug in editor window? Scenario:

After pressing the Replace All button the editor hangs. I must kill the process in task manager. It works fine in official v1.0.3 IDE.

qwertysimo

Thanks for the report. Will check & fix this.

qwertysimo:
Another one?

In editor, when you have more opened tabs with saved contents, switching between tabs indicates change in code by adding asterix after tab name but there was no actual change made.

Well, this is by design but it is not very "Smart". I will also try to check if is easy to fix

Hi again,

found another bug that does not exist in official 1.0.3. Scenario:

Open a sketchbook that has at least three tabs (create folder Test in your sketch directory and create three files inside: Test.ino, Test2.ino and Test3.ino). When you press Ctrl + Alt + right arrow, editor jumps to the third tab, Test3.ino, instead of the second one. Ctrl + Alt + left arrow jumps back to the first tab.

Workaround: Click on the dropdown list on the right of the tabs and select Next Tab menu item. From this moment Ctrl + Alt + right/left arrow works as expected.

Can you fix it? Thanks.

Hi

Great software, solved a major problem of me not being able to upload to my Leonardo with Win7 64Bit.

Upload NOW works (but I have to always hold down the reset button). If i don't it says uploaded but isn't (It does however send the signal to put it in programming mode but deosn't actually program).

My problem now is that the Serial Monitor does not work. The window opens, but does not actually connect. If I howver use the "official" 1.0.3 ide release, I can use the serial monitor, it connects and I get the results. BUT I cannot use it normally as it will not upload to teh leonardo...

Between the 2 I can manage, but maybe this serial monitor is a simple issue to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

qwertysimo:
Hi again,

found another bug that does not exist in official 1.0.3. Scenario:

Open a sketchbook that has at least three tabs (create folder Test in your sketch directory and create three files inside: Test.ino, Test2.ino and Test3.ino). When you press Ctrl + Alt + right arrow, editor jumps to the third tab, Test3.ino, instead of the second one. Ctrl + Alt + left arrow jumps back to the first tab.

Workaround: Click on the dropdown list on the right of the tabs and select Next Tab menu item. From this moment Ctrl + Alt + right/left arrow works as expected.

Can you fix it? Thanks.

This is strange because the official IDE does not works in my machine at all, so I am not sure what is going on but I will try to check this too. I am guessing the official ide jumps only 1 tab in your machine, if this mod jumps 2

piashaw:
Hi

Great software, solved a major problem of me not being able to upload to my Leonardo with Win7 64Bit.

Upload NOW works (but I have to always hold down the reset button). If i don't it says uploaded but isn't (It does however send the signal to put it in programming mode but deosn't actually program).

My problem now is that the Serial Monitor does not work. The window opens, but does not actually connect. If I howver use the "official" 1.0.3 ide release, I can use the serial monitor, it connects and I get the results. BUT I cannot use it normally as it will not upload to teh leonardo...

Between the 2 I can manage, but maybe this serial monitor is a simple issue to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't have a Leonardo or similar to check/fix this, so on the next update I will try to migrate the "good" parts related with the Leonardo (but I think you are using 1.5 not the 1.0.3 official one?)

So, pending stuff to add/research until now (ideally for the 1.0.4 update):
-remove trailing spaces
-reuse window
-update to the new signed driver & remove win8 warning/tutorial
-upload hex option
-change to Source Code Pro font
-some fixes from Energia -> Arduino (like 8.3 naming issue to remove the requeriment of PATH modification, some selection issues)
-check avr compiles version
-check "Replace All" button hangs
-check the "*" symbol added on switching tabs
-reset in the serial monitor window
-check Ctrl + Alt + right/left arrow

eried:
I am guessing the official ide jumps only 1 tab in your machine, if this mod jumps 2

Guessing right.

qwertysimo:

eried:
I am guessing the official ide jumps only 1 tab in your machine, if this mod jumps 2

Guessing right.

Windows version? language? etc

The code to switch the tab it is commented out in the official ide, but in my machine that does not work properly, so I re-enabled it.

Eried,

I'd like to suggest 5 more features to the IDE:

• option to pass the "-F" flag to avrdude (invalid signature), so it can ignore errors related to some cheap Chinese USBasp clones (read my post related to fixing USBasp errors)

• option to pass the "-u" flag to avrdude (disable safemode)

• Warning message when using -F and/or -u with avrdude

The 2 options above will be very useful if you implement the feature of uploading HEX files directly.

• option to specify the JRE folder, so it won´t have to look for one. Like one of my previous posts in this thread, I had problems having both 32-bit and 64-bit JREs in the same machine. This setting could be done either passing the JRE path in the command line or in some configuration file (like Eclipse does).

• replace the included version of avrdude with version 5.11. Currently Arduino ERW ships with version 5.10

Thanks!

Well, I don't have a Leonardo or similar to check/fix this, so on the next update I will try to migrate the "good" parts related with the Leonardo (but I think you are using 1.5 not the 1.0.3 official one?)

I'm using 1.0.3 as it said 1.5 was only for the due, but I'll try 1.5 as well and let you know.

If you think you've found a solution and want me to test it separately, let me know.

hole:
Type any line of text, then hold the space key. It will add spaces at the end of the line. :slight_smile:

It does no do any harm to keep them there, but I find it annoying. So I like to clean up. Especially if I release code.

Notepad++ -> TextFX -> Trim Trailing Spaces does it for me.

Hi, I was trying to add this but noticed that this already works in the version 1.0 or newer.

Can you check this?

Hi eried,

I was wondering what gcc version ships with the winavr your mod is using. I have some specific c11 code to test and was hoping this would be my easiest path to do so.

From what I can gather, it should be around 4.6.X or above.

The C++0x support in 4.3.2 is not that great at all.

pYro_65:
Hi eried,

I was wondering what gcc version ships with the winavr your mod is using. I have some specific c11 code to test and was hoping this would be my easiest path to do so.

From what I can gather, it should be around 4.6.X or above.

The C++0x support in 4.3.2 is not that great at all.

gcc (WinAVR 20100110) 4.3.3

If you can make a newer gcc work properly, I can replace it :slight_smile:

1.0.4 update

-Updated to official 1.0.4 version.
-New options in preferences to reuse always the current window and open the serial monitor as default.
-Driver installer updated.
-Minor changes to the template Sketch to use the default Bare minimum sketch
-Font now is Source Code Pro due licensing of the old font.
-PATH is not modified anymore (uninstall previous version is recommended).
-Replace All button does not hang the interface anymore.
-Tab switching fixed.
-Control-C without selection now selects the whole line.
-Control-X at the end of the Sketch does not throws exceptions anymore.
-AvrDude.exe updated

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried to address most of them. Enjoy!

There are 2 missing ones, I am still thinking on how to do them cleanly (and easy):
-reset in the serial monitor
-upload hex option

Also some of the suggestions were already implemented (or maybe I didn't fully understand them):
-remove trailing spaces (Auto-format already does this)
-check the "*" symbol added on switching tabs (it was fixed already in the official version)

hole:

eried:
If you need that bug, you can replace the rxtxSerial.dll file with the one from the official IDE package

Just to voice another vote for keeping a way to reset the board by a IDE switch.

In my case I do remote development (sitting in my warm room with the arduino some miles away I a cold garage) and I love the reset feature.

How this looks to reset your arduino in Siberia from Hawaii?:

The only problem will be the Leonardo, since the reset there is weird. And I don't even ordered one to test yet.

Also, additionally, stepping to a functional version I added some extra features to the boards.txt editor, like the context menu with other values from the same boards.txt file:

Finally, since there are still little issues for fellow windows users hahah (even I forget how to create the log file from the exe) I am thinking on provide little extra help in the next version:

Suggestions? Comments?

I am semi-back into writing programs.

Love the new IDE.

I have bought (yet) another Arduino.

Freetronics one. Same as the other one which won't flash. This one does.

Now I have to try the other board and see what happens.

If it won't I'll send it back as "DOA" when I bought it.

eried:
Hi, I was trying to add this but noticed that this already works in the version 1.0 or newer.

Can you check this?

• starting IDE 1.0.3.
  • file blink
  • deleting comment in last line beginning with the "//"

Now if you press POS1 and then END, you end at the old start of the comment. Lots of spaces.

Press Ctrl-T.

As bevor, POS1 and END positions after a lot of spaces...

eried:
How this looks to reset your arduino in Siberia from Hawaii?:

Love it!

hole:

eried:

Can you check this?

• starting IDE 1.0.3.
  • file blink
  • deleting comment in last line beginning with the "//"

Now if you press POS1 and then END, you end at the old start of the comment. Lots of spaces.

Press Ctrl-T.

As bevor, POS1 and END positions after a lot of spaces...

Can you download www.techsmith.com/jing.html or something similar to record a small clip of that? I can't really understand your instructions