1.3" OLED Module White and Blue Not Displaying Anything but Returning the I2C Address

I have purchased this “1.3" OLED Module White and Blue Color 128X64”. But it is not turning on and not showing any sign on the display at all. Now I don’t think it’s completely damaged, as I2C scanner code is returning the address back as 0x3C. Unfortunately it is not displaying anything.

I am aware of this product has the SH1106 chip. So I did use appropriate libraries to test such as Adafruit_SH1106.h, Adafruit_SH110X.h, U8glib.h as well as U8g2lib.h. Also I have tested tested the soldering points and jumper wire connections too. Lastly I have tried adding 10K resistance on both SDA and SCL pins with 5V of Arduino. But no luck. Is there anything can be done?

Fyi, This cheap display doesn't have any SMD resistor on the back to change addresses as I have seen in my other threads.

At the outset I have no experience or knowledge of this display module...but one that I had replaced in my hand held oscilloscope (and used the same driver chip as the scope's original display) did not seem to display anything on connecting. It was a LCD unit though. Hope this is of some help...

Turned out that the original board (along with the mainboard) had a different way of providing the voltage to its brightness (or was it contrast) pin. I looked at the display board's datasheet and worked out a simple voltage divider scheme to get that voltage for the replacement display. Also, the original display did not have any backlight but the replacement unit had that...so it was a simple matter of providing the required voltage to it.

How did I know that its not broken but an power/voltage issue? View the display at an angle (not facing it) then power on/off or send data to it. There should be some very faded or dim display...

Have you tried using
#include <Adafruit_SSD1306.h>
That is what I always use for these OLED displays.

Ahem. :roll_eyes:

The OP is talking about an OLED. :grin:

Yes - that is why the disclaimer at the beginning of my reply :slightly_smiling_face:

Just to clarify...the one that I had replaced was a LCD unit. Not sure how it is with LED or OLED displays - I'd reckon they too need some sort of brightness control.

I've edited my earlier post to call this out...

Please post a link to the actual display that you have bought. e.g. Ebay sale page.

We need to see the pcb in order to identify your display. Either from your photo or (preferably) a photo on the sale page.

This means that we can give accurate advice instead of random guesswork.

David.

Well, (O)LED displays do not have a "backlight" and the brightness of the pixels is according to the data controlling them, nothing to do with a hardware connection or variable. How else could they operate?

OLED controller chips determine brightness and contrast.
You set the appropriate registers.

None of this is relevant. Until we have identified the actual display.

Oh, and rohitbd was writing about an LCD anyway. You don't need a backlight on a transreflective LCD (in daylight). You always need some form of backlight on a transmissive type. And it tends to be dumb.

David.

As he later clarified. But the OP was not. :grin: