6v 300mA water pump activated by PIR using Arduino Board - 6v issues

Hello to all!

I am trying to gain some insight here and any suggestions, comments, ideas are greatly appreciated.

I have my first project here. I am trying to activate a 6v 300mA water pump with a PIR. When motion is detected, the pump will turn on and run for a determined amount of time (say 2 seconds) and shut off. Here is my issue so far. I have been told I can use the VIN pin to get the 6v I need if I supply the Uno board with a external 6v. (need it to run from a battery pack). But the issue I have is that if I use the VIN pin, is there any control? Meaning can you write it into the code to switch on when the PIR has been tripped? I hope this makes enough sense for someone with enough knowledge to help.

Again, any insight is greatly appreciated!

T

The minimum recommended voltage for the Vin pin is 7V. The Vin pin supplies voltage to the internal 5V regulator and those regulators typically need a couple of extra volts to regulate properly.

That being said: it will probably still work. The Arduino will likely work fine at the reduced voltage.

To turn the motor on and off use an NPN transistor between the - side of the motor and Ground. Connect the + side of the motor directly to the 6V battery. Google for Arduino Transistor to get more information about using a transistor to boost the current and voltage controlled by an output pin.

Great! So I will be able to use the same power source (battery pack) to power the Arduino too correct? Or will I need a separate power source for the board? Trying to keep the unit as a whole as small as possible Then I can connect the PIR to another output and write the sketch from there?

Also, by what you are saying, you cant control the VIN pin?

T

You can't control the Vin pin.

toddj421: Great! So I will be able to use the same power source (battery pack) to power the Arduino too correct?

Maybe, depending on its capacity. The motor turning on might take the voltage down (dip) to where the Arduino might reset.

toddj421: Then I can connect the PIR to another output and write the sketch from there?

Connect the PIR's output to an Arduino input.

toddj421: Also, by what you are saying, you cant control the VIN pin?

"Control"?