Accelerometer project code to create and describe

Hello! I am a teacher and would like to help our students get excited about technology. I have some Arduino experience, but not enough to create codes for an LED strip that changes according to movement. As you can imagine, we will use the accelerometer.
I can pay $300 for the entire project (I know, the hourly rate for pros can be better).

Idea of the project:

• The LED strip on would make a certain color depending on the movement of the head.
  • The student will learn about accelerometer and coding
    Here is a video I saw that is pretty close to what we need: LED Hat - Accelerometer Dance Mode - YouTube

What I am looking for:

• Testing with the LilyPad USB, accelerometer, LED strip. You do NOT have to use the LilyPad USB, you can use a nano or uno. Just need a testing from a pro.
  • Complete code for the project to work
  • Full explanation of project by blocks (not just comments) about what float is, why xyz, etc.

Parts:

• LilyPad USB
  • Accelerometer
  • Conductive thread
  • LED strip (will solder to LilyPad USB)
  • AA battery holder
  • Hat

I found a similar project that has the following code: Space Board code for controlling RGB LED Lights · GitHub
(Video: Space Skateboard version 2 - YouTube).

Thank you in advance.

Full explanation of project by blocks (not just comments) about what float is, why xyz, etc.

That is far too vague a "requirement" to ever be accomplish-able.

Using an accelerometer to control, in some completely undefined way, an LED strip does require understanding what a float is, or how it differs from an int, but that understand should have come LONG before tackling this project.

What is missing from your project description is the relationship between the LED color/brightness and the accelerometer data. Which axis' data is relevant? Or is more than one relevant?

Is it the acceleration that matters? Doesn't seem likely. What seems more likely is that it is the angle that the accelerometer is tilted to that matters. And that can take several chapters to explain quaternions and quaternion math. Hell, I don't even understand them, but I do know how to use them (and code someone else wrote) to make a robot arm move the way I want.

I found a similar project that has the following code: Space Board code for controlling RGB LED Lights · GitHub

And that code isn't sufficient because?