access Yun from external network

Hello all,

I am trying to get remote access to a Yun from an external network. I was able to connect without issue when I was on site and had my laptop on the same wireless network as the Yun. The Yun is in NJ and I am in FL... My friend there is a knowledgable computer scientist and he was confident that we would be able to set up some type of port forwarding there that would allow me to access the Yun web interface (LuCi).

BUT, even with him on the same local network there, if he tries to access the Yun web interface via browser by typing http://arduino.local he gets nothing...this worked for me when I was there...and I know the Yun is still online because it is actively sending Tweets out.

SO first, does the Arduino software have to be installed on a computer so that the web interface can be accessed via browser??? His computer did not have Arduino IDE installed...

AND second, is this thinking correct that we should be able to use port forwarding to allow me access from an external network???

Thanks for any help-

acastronovo:
SO first, does the Arduino software have to be installed on a computer so that the web interface can be accessed via browser??? His computer did not have Arduino IDE installed…

No. But it does need a zero configuration client installed on it. Windows does not have one by default, but Bonjour will give you that capability and it is automatically installed if you install iTunes or QuickTime. It can also be downloaded and installed separately. MacOS computers come with Bonjour standard. Linux computers may need to have a utility like Avahi installed on them.

But even if the arduino.local name doesn’t work, you should always be able to access the web interface using the Yun’s IP address.

AND second, is this thinking correct that we should be able to use port forwarding to allow me access from an external network???

Yes, it should work. Just be aware that the arduino.local name will not be usable outside of the local network, and the Yun’s IP address will not show up in a remote Arduino IDE’s port menu.

And you will, of course, have to take security considerations into account (are you opening up a vector that can be exploited to gain access to the local network?)

Thank you Shapshifter,

I have not been able to test this yet, but will be on site tomorrow to try- My main question/uncertainty after reading other posts is whether or not simply using the port forwarding will give me access to the web interface from an external network, or if I actually need all of the additional modifications as described in this post by houdinihar: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=326887.0

it is mentioned that you must modify the Yun code to listen for incoming traffic on ports other than 80, and that there must be additional arduino code added as well... BUT I am not sure if this is required to obtain the results that I am looking for, or for something different.

Again, my end goal is to be able to access the Yun's web interface from an external network.

Thank you!

To just get to the web interface, you will probably get away with port forwards to the Yun's port 80 for HTTP, and probably 443 for HHTPS.

In that thread, he's opening other ports and loading software because he wants to start other services.

Thank you, yes, it worked. We set up a DMZ host, but apparently port forwarding would have worked also.

Setting up a DMZ might be a better solution than opening a port forward. With the port forward, if someone is able to compromise the web interface and gain control of your Yun, it might give them a vector for attacking the rest of your network. If the Yun is in a DMZ, it should be harder to gain access to your private network from there.