Advice for learning how to use TFT display

Hi all

I've never use a TFT display with arduino before and have not got a clue where to start. I've used a alphanumeric display for a few projects I've done.

I've had a project i mind for a couple of years to replace the old LCD in my car with a TFT as found in modern vehicles.

I've attached a picture of the original display which looks black but when it was working the centre part lite up for different warning lights. You can see in the picture the outline of the different warning symbols.

My first question is.

Is this something that could be replicated with a TFT?

Second.

How would each part of the display be replicated ie:-

Would it require lots of bmp files for the different symbols or could the arduino code draw them on the display.

Yes & either!

Where would i start. Are there any good tutorials that i could use or books to read that would help.

The best way to learn with Arduino is by running the examples that come with the chosen TFT library.
e.g. Arduino_ST7735 with a 160x80 display

Study the example code. Adapt for your project.

In simple terms. Your image shows text in three different fonts.

Whichever library you use, it will involve setFont(), setCursor(), print()
I strongly advise using an Adafruit_GFX style library.

David.

Hi, ullisees,

I believe that most simple and elegant is to use a TFT shield on an Arduino. With a shield you don't have to figure out the pin wiring . There are numerous examples of how to use a TTF display. My favorite shield is has a 3.5 inch 320x240 ILI9481-powered display. Thanks to David's mcufriend_kbv library a world of creativity opens.

Here is a picture of how I use on of my shields: it provides actual information about water temperatures in heating loops in the floor heating system of my living room. The entire description can be found at:

Note that the rainbow gauge presentation is a creation by Bodmer (found on Instructables) adapted to my situation
One step further is to use a ILI9341 directly wired to a WROOM32 ESP, but that work has not yet bene published on thesolaruniverse blog.
Success, Photoncatcher

Which would be the best board to use. Would i need something quick and powerful to handle a lot inputs and outputs aswell as processing the display