An idea

I've been toying with Google's Chrome OS and a little bit with the mbed board and it struck me that Arduino should be considered as a possible web app. It's clearly possible, though I'm sure the concept of remote storage isn't everyone's cup of tea. I haven't run into any issues with the online only mbed compiler and figured arduino should be able to run and compile in a browser as well. just my 2c.

Well, except for the part where you actually upload to the Arduino...

not necessarily... Chrome OS will support USB devices, and it's not really a bizarre concept to allow the browser to have access to the hardware's USB port: http://ideas.4brad.com/universal-web-usb-plugin-all-browsers. In a way (and this is really just my opinion...) Web apps have the potential to tear down a lot of compatibility issues (Win/Mac/Lin/Etc.), though they do introduce issues when there is limited or no connectivity. It's really just a thought... I'd use it ;)

I think this is an excellent idea. I would love to be able to program an Arduino with a Chrome OS system such as the Cr-48. It is a perfect candidate for a web app.

I'm at a loss to understand the benefits of a web app. All the web apps I'm familiar with require a web browser application to display the web app. All the web browsers I'm familiar with run on PCs.

If you need to install a web browser on the PC in order to run the web app, and you need to have a PC in order to run the web browser that runs the web app, where's the advantage of the web app over an application installed on the PC.

Maybe it's because my PC is portable, and programming the Arduino with no web connection for miles around, that I'm missing the benefit of being tethered to the internet.

But, but then it would be a cloud application and be like all cool and state of the art. ;)

But, but then it would be a cloud application and be like all cool and state of the art.

I've read lots of stuff on cloud computing. It mostly boiled down to hand-waving. I'm not prepared to let Google or Microsoft or any other company that can't explain what cloud computing is own my code or pictures or data.

There's clouds involved, along with mirrors. I'm not sure, though, that it's really a cloud. Might actually be smoke there trying to blow somewhere.

Amazon EC2 (Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud) is rumored to be a network of over-clocked megaAVRs. :o

The added value of webbased apps (like the mbed) is not allways evident but to name a few (different stakeholders!):

• Sharing between different people @ diff locations [professionals like this]

• You sharing multiple PC/Macs

• Automatic version control (does mbed that)

• Control by the mothercompany

• allways latest version of app (including no fall back ...?.)

• your code (do you want that ?)

• Marketing!! they know what bugs are made most often, what functions are used most often (to be optimized first)

Be aware a lousy internet connection can spoil an evening of fun...

Amazon EC2 (Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud) is rumored to be a network of over-clocked megaAVRs.

There was a 555 driving the cloud wasn’t it :slight_smile: