Analog comparator specifics

I'm trying to use the builtin atmel analog comparator to compare two signal levels. I know how to setup the ACSR register and configure the interrupt handler. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to read the output of the comparator (HIGH/LOW). You're only able to configure the triggering of the interrupt based on a level change at the comparator output.

The first signal is a pulsed: 8 us high at some unknown level / 492 us low at a known level (DC bias). The second signal is basically a sawtooth, so it ramps up from 0V to 5V. I'm only interested in the state of the comparator during that small 8 us timeframe. If I use the interrupt based handler, there's a big chance that the signal levels cross each other during the low part of the pulse when the measurement is not relevant.

I was thinking on only activating the interrupt handler during the 8 us timeframe but again there's no guarantee that the transition happens during that timeframe. If I would be able to simply read the state of the comparator at that moment my problem would be solved.

What happens if you enable the analog comparator, does it have a fixed initial state? If it will always generate and edge regardless of the initial state of the levels at the input then my issue is also solved.

I think I found the solution, I must have overlooked it while reading the datasheet. The ACO bit in the ACSR register contains the status of the comparator

Can't you connect the analog comparator to the input capture unit, to get precise timings? See bit ACIC in ACSR.

I'm not sure how well that would work for a toggle, but I did it in one direction here: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=12075

Oh, I see you aren't interesting in timings but voltage levels. In that case disregard my suggestion. :)