Anchorman

Hello Experts,

Would any of you be so kind to help me/advise me on what electronic parts I exactly need to get this working?

Arduino Uno,
8 Ohm speaker
MP3 module (when you open the box, it growls and a few seconds later it says (60% of the …)
A servo
Microswitch of something else?

can i program the arduino in that way that after opening the box the servo is actuated to bring the head up and after 20s it goes back down automatically? can I program a timer?

thx in advance

Welcome to the forums.

Your project sounds totally doable. Don't know the size of the box, but if you are trying to fit everything inside, you might consider a nano vs. an uno. Same chip, same functionality, smaller size. Unless you are using some motor shield to drive your servo and that shield is Uno sized, then use an Uno.

For an MP3 player, get a DFPlayer mini. They are super cheap and you can put to sound tracks on the micro SD card and play them when needed.

You will also need a power supply to run everything. Depending on what servo you get (which depends on how much torque you need or weight you are lifting) you may need a good supply. If you are thinking battery powered, then you will need to consider how long you want this to run and size them accordingly.

blh64:
Don't know the size of the box, but if you are trying to fit everything inside, you might consider a nano vs. an uno. Same chip, same functionality, smaller size. Unless you are using some motor shield to drive your servo and that shield is Uno sized, then use an Uno.

Very sensible! The UNO is not really suitable for most projects as it is difficult to solder connections to it and it is an odd form factor.

Really only useful if there happens to be a "shield" to fit to it which solves your problem neatly in one. :grinning:

But you want this to be battery operated, don't you? So here's a problem. A UNO - or Nano - draws a lot of battery power just to operate - 30 to 50 mA - so you have to switch it completely off until you are ready. But if you switch it off as the lid closes, it will not be able to lower the head as you do so. And the servo also draws a lot of power. A Pro Mini with the resistor for the pilot LED removed can be put into sleep mode ready to wake when tripped by the lid switch, and when the lid is closed, it can complete all necessary shut down tasks before it puts itself back to sleep.

Four "AA" cells to power the servo and a silicon diode to drop the voltage just within the range of the Pro Mini should work quite well. You need a FET to switch the servo on and off however.

External power supply is not really a problem if its better.
So will opt for a nano
The scissor lift will be of aluminium. Only needs to lift a perfume bottle.

I’m trying to find the perfect box (not to small) to fit everything

Thx already!

A Pro Mini with the resistor for the pilot LED removed can be put into sleep mode ready to wake when tripped by the lid switch, and when the lid is closed, it can complete all necessary shut down tasks before it puts itself back to sleep.

Four "AA" cells to power the servo and a silicon diode to drop the voltage just within the range of the Pro Mini should work quite well. You need a FET to switch the servo on and off however.

Seems more simple dan nano?

The Nano contains a USB to TTL interface chip which you cannot put to sleep, so it would be continuously drawing battery power.

Hi,
Is this the order of your project.

Box sits, lid down.
Someone opens the lid.
Something pops up and makes a noise of some sort.
After 20seconds the something pops down and lid closes.

Make it so the lid being lifted connects power to the controller.
When the lid goes back down again the power is disconnected.
No need for making the controller go to sleep.

Just a thought... Tom.. :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
When the lid goes back down again the power is disconnected.

So then how does the platform get lowered if the power has been disconnected? :roll_eyes:

Push harder? :astonished:

Paul__B:
So then how does the platform get lowered if the power has been disconnected? :roll_eyes:

Push harder? :astonished:

The platform has to go down before the lid closes.

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
The platform has to go down before the lid closes.

How does it know to do that? The control switch is operated by the lid. Did you watch the videos?

What videos?

Go to youtube.com and search for "Arduno usless box". There are lots of videos and the code can be adapted for your project.

Hi,
Yes I seen the useless box, by local electronics supplier has one on their front desk.
But the OPs project is not a useless box.
You open the lid to switch it ON an when the something goes up then down so does the lid and switches OFF,

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
What videos?

Those (not) visible in the OP. :astonished:

For Halloween, the box could be pretty good sized.

Hello,

You open the box, (Some sort of microswitch that is activated by opening the lid.

you hear the growling sound of a panther and then a scissor lift with a perfume bottle comes up.

then maybe a little bit of tekst from the movie extra

then you take the perfume bottle and after 20/30 sec, you should have normally taken the perfume, sprayed yourself with a muscular sent (haha) and put the bottle back. then the lift goes back down.

If you keep the bottle with you the lift goes back anyway after 30 sec