arduino based winding machine

i am new to arduino and i am trying to make a machine that winds a cable o arrond a wheel according to how much length i input , but haven't figured out how can i make the arduino mesure the length of the cable and stop when it reaches the wanted value , can you please help me undestand what componants do i need and how to use them. it kind of supposed to look like this : TECE Rewinding Apparatus - YouTube

A rubber tyred wheel of known circumference in contact with the cable and count the revolutions or part revolutions of the wheel would be a start. A mark or marks on the wheel or holes in it and a light would enable the revolutions of the wheel to be counted.

Any Arduino could run the associated program

The video shows a device for winding lengths of edge band off a large reel and onto a cardboard core. Since the edge banding is flat it stacks neatly on itself.

Is the 'cable' you are winding around a 'wheel' flat? If the cable is round or irregular (like twisted wires) you won't be able to stack it neatly like the edge banding.

To measure lengths of cable, pull it through a pair of pinch rollers and put a shaft encoder on one of the rollers. Each revolution of the roller means one circumference of the roller has gone by. If your roller is 31.83mm in diameter you will get 100mm of cable (31.83mm * Pi) from each revolution of the roller.

Encoder on the whheel is a common operation
You should be able to find examples.
Encoders will count as much as 1000 pulses per rotation so you can get very precise.
If each pulse was 1 mm.
Once you have a reading of the encoder the math is easy.

Thanks guys, that was helpful :slight_smile: :slight_smile: