Arduino Breadboard (Atmega328P-PU, 8MHz, 3.3V) and FTDI adapter problem

I made recently my Arduino Breadboard (ATMEGA328P-PU, 8MHz, 3.3V). I wanted to program it with FTDI adapter (pins: DTR, RX, TX, VCC, CTS, GND). The adapter was previously efficient, I used it before to program my Mini Pro.
After connecting it to my board was probably damaged. Windows shows it now as “FT232R USB UART” and is not able to install the drivers. There was no problems before with it and was seen as COM. I think there is something wrong with the connections on the board. I attach Fritzing scheme and will be grateful for all the tips.

Is there a bootloader in the ATmega chip ?

Yes, atmega is with Arduino bootlaoder.

A bootloader for an external 8MHz crystal ?
Like the bootloader for the Arduino Pro Mini 3.3V 8MHz ?

Please do not connect AREF to 3.3V, remove that wire. It's not very bad, and won't help your problem, but that wire should not be there.

The way Windows sees the FTDI adapter is the same, whether an ATmega chip is connector or not. The FTDI adapter is a usb-serial on its own.
Does the FTDI adapter still work with your Pro Mini board ?
Perhaps the drivers are not okay anymore, can you try on another computer ?

Thanks, I removed AREF wire.
Yes. it's bootloader for external 8MHz crystal. When I connect only power supply to the board, green LED is blinking.
I checked the adapter on 3 different PCs, on each the same. Adapter is no longer works with my Pro Mini.

So the adapter is not seen properly by the computer even when it is not connected to any Arduino?

Sounds like it it toast.

You might just specify which adapter it is, from which website you obtained it?

Suspect you must have shorted out the 3V3 supply at some stage and it did not appreciate it.

Paul__B:
So the adapter is not seen properly by the computer even when it is not connected to any Arduino?

Yes, on each PC adapter is seen as "Ohter devices->FT232R USB UART" even when it is not connected to any Arduino. Before was seen properly as COM device.

Paul__B:

My adapter is the same like this one -> http://img.banggood.com/thumb/view/upload/2012/lidanpo/SKU116803%20(1).jpg

Paul__B:
Suspect you must have shorted out the 3V3 supply at some stage and it did not appreciate it.

Thanks for suggestion. Perhaps my protoboard is damaged and short circuit is somewhere.

infloper:

Paul__B:

Yes, on each PC adapter is seen as “Ohter devices->FT232R USB UART” even when it is not connected to any Arduino. Before was seen properly as COM device.

Paul__B:

My adapter is the same like this one → http://img.banggood.com/thumb/view/upload/2012/lidanpo/SKU116803%20(1).jpg

Paul__B:

Thanks for suggestion. Perhaps my protoboard is damaged and short circuit is somewhere.

Infloper & Paul, Just to put you back into the picture; I have just bought a FT232R ftdi serial adapter exactly as that previously shown through the BangGood link who were my items vendors.

Its behaviour is exactly like that you describe. So I think that FRYING and having “shorted out the 3V3 supply” is quite probably wrong. I have written to FTDICHIP.com telling them that their drivers can not be committed to there software/hardware in Device Manager and I now await a reply.

If any body reading this note knows the answer as to how you install properly the FTDI drivers in Win 8.1 , and all for 5V power supply would they be so very good as to let me know and hence this forum thread. When I say “properley” I don’t mean as the FTDICHIP.com how to, I mean as WIN 8.1 wants to receive it.

There follows now a copy of the eMail to FTDICHIP.com:

I am finding it impossible to install my Ft drivers to me FT232R. When I try to do it manually by browsing to the necessary file I am told “Windows could not find driver software for your device”.

When I ask your ftdi.exe program to do its stuff, when finished it tells me my drivers were installed successfully but the FT232R is still not driven showing an ‘!’ next to its location in Device Manager.

In both circumstances my Arduino IDE Serial is greyed out and does not display a Serial Com location ; I therefore cannot use the IDE with the FT232R so I think proving none of the driver attempts have been successful.

Can you supply me with a work around please?

Chris Spreckley
This forum: Cheers, Chris S.

There have been a number of threads about recent FTDI drivers not working with counterfeit FTDI chips.

A fix has been documented here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=270175.msg1909867#msg1909867

Might be worth checking out the thread and the video to see if the symptoms are the same.

Hackscribble, big big thanks. I try this way to install FTDI drivers and it works now (Windows 8.1 x64)

ChrisPSR:
I have written to FTDICHIP.com telling them that their drivers can not be committed to there software/hardware in Device Manager and I now await a reply.

It looks like you are probably going to get a very curt reply informing you that if you are not actually using their chips (and it would seem the fact is that you are not), then tough luck and you get what you deserve! :smiley: :smiley:

Hackscribble:
There have been a number of threads about recent FTDI drivers not working with counterfeit FTDI chips.

A fix has been documented here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=270175.msg1909867#msg1909867

Might be worth checking out the thread and the video to see if the symptoms are the same.

I thank you for your reply and Infloppers note that his chip is now doing its stuff I shall try that right after this. However:
Your point about counterfeit chips is of concern as FTDICHIP.com sent me a link to a Microsoft program that looks inside any USB connection and tellls you what is burnt into the chip.

In my case the Manufacturer ID ( ID 0403) is correct however the chips own ID is WRONG! it should read ID 6001 but in fact it reads ID 0000. Apparently its is important for these ID's to be correct because windows looks for them to confirm that it has the correct drivers for your application prior to invoking the driver(s). So the presumption must be if these are wrong you cannot load those drivers at least by ordinary means.

Chris S.
I am awaiting FTD's dissertation on all this shortly. For the MS., program search using its tiltle "USB Device Viewer".

Hackscribble:

Hackscribble, I can neither understand the Russian language nor can I follow the video representation provided by somebody else as I get lost in his quick deployment of now we click this and this and this and then we have ...................................... I also cannot clearly see the message boxes on my laptop screen due to the size at which the original screen is projected.

Is there any other site that can give this information.

Chris S

Gentleman and all concerned with this thread.

I now have an eMail back from FTDCHIP.com all as the follows which I fear needsno further enhancement.

Dear Chris,

We have investigated the device information that you submitted. This information indicates that the FT232R device is not a Genuine FTDI product.

As this device is not genuine it will not operate with FTDI`s certified drivers.

Can you please send details of the supplier of this device so that we can investigate the source of these counterfeit products?

We recommend to all our customers to guarantee genuine FTDI products please purchase either from FTDI directly or from one of our authorised distributors. Please follow this link to locate your local distributor: FTDI Sales Network

For more information please refer to FTDI`s counterfeit statement and driver license agreement.

FTDI Chip Counterfeit Statement
FTDI Software Licence

Best Regards,
David Paterson
Customer Support Engineer

Thanks for sharing. That is a very polite and expected answer. I'm sure they dislike the counterfeit chip even more than we do.
Meanwhile, many of us have troubles, we didn't know that we bought a counterfeit ftdi chip.

Video of applying the workaround on an English language Windows 8.1 system.

Hackscribble:
Video of applying the workaround on an English language Windows 8.1 system.

hackscribble

Dear Hackscribble, Very many thanks for your eMail and Link however I feel that as my particular chip is going to give me troubles and I do not wish to attempt a re-run of all that has gone before so I have side-showed the article, threatened the seller, reported the seller and hold on to the existing in case of necessary return or proof else it would have been binned. I have ordered a competitors offering of a "CH340G Serial Converter USB 2.0 To TTL 3.3/5V 6PIN for Arduino PRO Mini & or PIC."

Hopefully this will be an honourable product delivered by a British outfit called ChilliTronix of whom I have purchased excellent items in the past.

Many thanks I hope you can seem my point of view, enough is enough, cheers,
Chris S.

ChrisPSR:
I feel that as my particular chip is going to give me troubles and I do not wish to attempt a re-run of all that has gone before so I have side-showed the article, threatened the seller, reported the seller and hold on to the existing in case of necessary return or proof else it would have been binned. I have ordered a competitors offering of a "CH340G Serial Converter USB 2.0 To TTL 3.3/5V 6PIN for Arduino PRO Mini & or PIC."

Lotsa luck! (Actually, the manufacturer's deliberate obfuscation of the driver will not apply to the CH340G, so that should not be a problem.)

There is another quite easy approach.

Just install Linux (Mint).

No drivers to install, it simply works! An OS designed for (and by) engineers.

Paul__B:

ChrisPSR:
I feel that as my particular chip is going to give me troubles and I do not wish to attempt a re-run of all that has gone before so I have side-showed the article, threatened the seller, reported the seller and hold on to the existing in case of necessary return or proof else it would have been binned. I have ordered a competitors offering of a "CH340G Serial Converter USB 2.0 To TTL 3.3/5V 6PIN for Arduino PRO Mini & or PIC."

Lotsa luck! (Actually, the manufacturer's deliberate obfuscation of the driver will not apply to the CH340G, so that should not be a problem.)

There is another quite easy approach.

Just install Linux (Mint).

No drivers to install, it simply works! An OS designed for (and by) engineers.

Faraday I can hardly believe my luck. The drivers are definitely installed for the Ch340 but I can't program my Pro Mini and this is the last straw in my completing a working thermometer controller for my neighbours greenhouse do you know any good site that can be recommended to prove a successful install of Arduinoese in to a Mini or Mini Pro please.

I take it that the tools should be set up as:
Board: Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5V, 16MHz) w/ Atmega328. [All given that it is a 328]
Serial In this instance Com 5
Programmer AVRISP Mkll

Wiring CH340 ProMini
DTR 1 GRN
RXD 2 TX0
TXD 3 RXI
VC 4 Vcc
CTS 5 GND Not Connected
GND 6 BLK

Programming using this format I am left with the Pro Mini 328 simply blinking
(presumably delivered complete with the blink program?).

Cheers,

You can find wiring information for the CH340 here:

http://www.chillitronix.co.uk/index.php?page=ch340g-usage