Arduino Car Info Device

Hi everyone.
I'm new to this entire Arduino whole, and the reason for me even being introduced to Arduinos is because of an idea I had to have a device that is installed in a vehicle(preferably small).
This devices stores the vehicles information on it(I. E. The license plate, the vehicle make and model, the owner's name and info, etc).
Along with the information, it will receive GPS data and send it to a desktop or mobile client for real time location, it will also have the vehicle's speed.
The GPS data will then be sent from the client to a database to be stored for a couple days and the data will keep on renewing itself just so it would not full the database(not sure if that makes sense),
It's kept as an 'archive' in this database just in case something happens and let's say the authorities need to know the location of a vehicle/s at a certain time and the speed it was driving at.
Now my idea for this was to get it installed in every car in my country(not the US) so the authorities can use it to help with mainly crime fighting but while going deeper into this idea.
I realised that it can be helpful in many other aspects.

Is it possible?
Is Arduino the device to get these tasks done?
And can someone help me understand the basics of how something like this could happen whether I'm using Arduino or not using it.
Little backstory, I'm 19 and pursuing a degree in Information Systems Management.
I always wanted to create something pertaining to programming but I could never come up with ideas no matter how hard I try to brainstorm something, but this idea came across my mind when I was thinking of ways to help in solving the rampant crimes in my country, and I really liked it and it seems somewhat plausible to me.
I'd really like to try and learn about Arduinos more and create this project for
1)my own personal goal accomplishment and
2)to help as much as I can to make my country as safer as it can be.
Any help will most definitely be appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance and for taking the time to read this. If anyone is interested in helping me, I can explain it better for you as we go along.
Thank you again.

GPS based tracking systems is already a mature technology.
If you want to start experimenting, get an Arduino, a GPS module and a GSM/gprs module and start experimenting. Nice would also be use of an Internet connected server to receive the data.

These is nothing wrong with having visions and the technology has been developed to support them. However, their practical use depends on investments in the infrastructure to support them, for example full mobile data coverage, and the political will to apply them to the area of law enforcement which you have highlighted. This is much wider than simply an Arduino and some point to point radio solution.

Anyway, if you have specific technical questions about an arduino, data transmission technologies, GSM Modules, etc. etc. which could be used as part of any solution you may consider, just ask in this forum.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

Hi everyone.
I'm new to this entire Arduino whole, and the reason for me even being introduced to Arduinos is because of an idea I had to have a device that is installed in a vehicle(preferably small).
This devices stores the vehicles information on it(I. E. The license plate, the vehicle make and model, the owner's name and info, etc).
Along with the information, it will receive GPS data and send it to a desktop or mobile client for real time location, it will also have the vehicle's speed.
The GPS data will then be sent from the client to a database to be stored for a couple days and the data will keep on renewing itself just so it would not full the database(not sure if that makes sense),
It's kept as an 'archive' in this database just in case something happens and let's say the authorities need to know the location of a vehicle/s at a certain time and the speed it was driving at.
Now my idea for this was to get it installed in every car in my country(not the US) so the authorities can use it to help with mainly crime fighting but while going deeper into this idea.
I realised that it can be helpful in many other aspects.

Is it possible?
Is Arduino the device to get these tasks done?
And can someone help me understand the basics of how something like this could happen whether I'm using Arduino or not using it.
Little backstory, I'm 19 and pursuing a degree in Information Systems Management.
I always wanted to create something pertaining to programming but I could never come up with ideas no matter how hard I try to brainstorm something, but this idea came across my mind when I was thinking of ways to help in solving the rampant crimes in my country, and I really liked it and it seems somewhat plausible to me.
I'd really like to try and learn about Arduinos more and create this project for
1)my own personal goal accomplishment and
2)to help as much as I can to make my country as safer as it can be.
Any help will most definitely be appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance and for taking the time to read this. If anyone is interested in helping me, I can explain it better for you as we go along.
Thank you again.

Sorry but I had to spread you post out.
It is good to lay your posts out in point form, with new lines so it doesn't look like a mass of words.
You will find more people will read your posts if you make them easy to read.

I think most of us would not deny you your ideas and trying to pursue them.

This may help;

Tom... :slight_smile:

Car manufacturers already have similar systems.
The computer checks vehicle statuses and can send the data to a web portal.
One problem is that of having wireless internet access.
And the website to gather and store information

Anyone have any suggestions on making this device?
At least without the data transmitting aspect, the steps in making a device that collects raw GPS data, gathers speed data, and stores the information.
The the information be able to be stored on the arduino or would it be better to put the information on an rfid tag and have an rfid reader on the arduino that reads that one rfid tag and keeps it on the device

About 18 years ago a group came to my company with a similar project, less the GPS and real time data transmission. They broke up soon after because automobile manufactures announced they were going to include all those things in the new models. In the US, there have been laws passed that now require such systems in ALL new cars made or imported into the US.

Unless your country has their own car manufacturers that are not required to have such systems, then most of what you want to do is available to you at your local car dealer.

Paul