Arduino DUE I2C Issues

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I’m the owner of Arduino UNO, NANO and MEGA. In this moment I wanted to start with Arduino DUE. Its specifications are promising, but its support is poor. I even seen official examples with errors or missing information. Anyway… after buy it, i startet researching to use this arduino, fixing and adapting codes to start to make functional my old projects in “DUE”.

There is a particular one with “I2C”, it is already working on my other Arduinos. I adapt it to the new environment with its “pullups” at 3.3V, but it does not work: I can’t read the information it gives my slave device. The curious thing is that my device do actions by “I2C” but no answer to me. The code I use to ask to my device is the follow:

#include <Wire.h>
const int NCVaddr=0x60;
byte recived[7];
byte byteRX;

void setup() 
{
  //Connections:
  Serial.begin(9600);                         
  Wire.begin();                               
  Wire.setClock(400000);              // 400000 Fast Mode.
  //Initial Message:
  Serial.println("READY!");
  delay(500);
}

void loop() 
{     
  //ADDRESS
  Wire.beginTransmission(NCVaddr);      
  //2 ADDRESS
  Wire.write(0xC0);                     
  //IDENTIFIER (REGISTER)
  Wire.write(0x0A);                     
  //CLOSE TRANSMISION
  Wire.endTransmission(false);                                     
  //REQUEST FOR DATA
  Wire.requestFrom(NCVaddr,5,true);  

byte c=0;
 while(Wire.available())                    // Returns the number of bytes available. So Slave may send less than requested...
 {
   recived[c] = Wire.read();                // Receive a byte
   c++;
 }
  Serial.println("Bytes Received: " + String(byteRX));                                          
  delay(2000);
  for(int i=0;i<byteRX;i++)
  {
    Serial.println("Byte " + String(i+1));
    Serial.println(recived[i], HEX); //Print bytes
  }
  delay(2000);
}

As I said, this code works perfect in my other Arduinos. I checked the I2C signal in my oscilloscope comparing the signals between the code with Arduino UNO (wich works) and the code with Arduino DUE and I saw a little difference whe the “Wire.requestFrom()” runs itself: The frame what this code should output by I2C is: 0x60=1100000, the read bit=1, and finally the ACK=0; all the frame looks like: 110000010. BUT, in the Arduino DUE case at the end of this frame I have a NACK or 1 looking like: 110000011, and I don’t know why.

The acknowledge bit allows the receiver to signal the transmitter that the byte was successfully received and another byte may be sent. So, when SDA remains HIGH during this ninth clock pulse, this is defined as the Not Acknowledge signal. of course because an error has ocurred. But why it only Happen with DUE? Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Note that the SDA/SCL bus has already pull-ups (1K ), unlike SDA1/SCL1. Does your I2C Device has pull-ups ?

In the DUE sub forum, there are numerous I2C threads. Some hints are given to avoid glitchs on the bus otherwise glitchs make the I2C peripheral hang indefinitely, execute an I2C bus reset, and so on...

Hello,

Yes, I've desoldered the resistors of my device before. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to check the DUE sub forum.

@ammc

Moved your topic to it’s current location as it is more suitable.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.