Arduino Due not yet working with Atmel-ICE

1. Related posts

A few people already tried to use the Atmel-ICE with the Arduino Due:

Unfortunately, these posts were closed without a solution being provided. So I open another one here :slight_smile:

2. Context

I'm in a team building this new IDE for microcontrollers:

https://embeetle.com

Currently, we're trying to support the Arduino Due in Embeetle. The functionality we added for other Arduino boards, generally consists of:

• Flash firmware through the COM-port (default setting)
  • Flash firmware through an external device (eg. Atmel-ICE or AVR ISP mkII)
  • Flash bootloader through external device (eg. Atmel-ICE or AVR ISP mkII)

For the Arduino Due, I've successfully implemented the first functionality: flashing firmware through the COM-port. As for the other two functionalities, I just can't get it to work.

3. Flashing firmware through COM-port: works

Flashing firmware through the COM-port works fine. I simply observed what Arduino does when flashing the firmware, which is something like this:

bossac.exe -i
           -d
           --port=COM16
           -U false
           -e
           -w
           -v
           -b
           C:/Users/.../Blink.ino.bin
           -R

With that information, it wasn't difficult to implement something similar in Embeetle IDE.

4. Flashing firmware (and/or bootloader) through external device: doesn't work

Flashing firmware (application or a bootloader) through an external device doesn't work. In Arduino there's simply nothing available:

I tried adding the following code to the "C:/Users[Username]/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/sam/1.6.12/programmers.txt" file:

atprogram_atmelice_isp.name=Atmel Studio ATMEL-ICE (ISP)
atprogram_atmelice_isp.program.tool=atprogram
atprogram_atmelice_isp.program.extra_params=-t atmelice -i ISP
atprogram_atmelice_isp.help=Connect the programmer to the ICSP port 

The ATMEL-ICE shows up in the Arduino IDE, but it still doesn't work. It results in an error message:

Error while uploading: missing 'program.params.verbose' configuration parameter

I copied the code for programmers.txt from this post: Atmel-ICE with Arduino IDE ? - #2 by epinc

I don't know how to modify it, to solve the error.

5. Question

I'd like to know how to flash firmware (or a bootloader) to the Arduino Due through an external device (eg. Atmel-ICE). Preferrably with a shell command - a Windows cmd or Linux bash command. But if you can show me how to do it in the Arduino IDE, I can deduce the shell command later on by looking at the Arduino (verbose) output.

Hi @ard_newbie ,
Thank you for the video. I've tried to follow the steps, but Atmel/Microchip studio doesn't recognize my Atmel-ICE probe. So I'm basically blocked.

1. Microsoft Device Manager

As soon as I connect, my Atmel-ICE is present in the Microsoft Device Manager. It has three entries there:

1.1 Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers > USB Composite Device

1.2 Device Manager > Microchip Tools > Atmel-ICE Data Gateway

1.3 Device Manager > libusb-win32 devices > Atmel-ICE CMSIS-DAP (Interface 0)

2. Atmel/Microchip studio

Despite the Atmel-ICE being visible in the Device Manager, Atmel/Microchip studio seems unable to connect to it. When I start the IDE, it shows this:

I click "Wait 1 more minute", but that doesn't seem to help much. When looking at the settings in my blinky-project, I see the following:

The only choice for "Tool" is "Custom Programming Tool". No Atmel-ICE to be seen...

What should I do?

3. Shell commands

In fact, I'm not even interested that much to get the Atmel-ICE working in Atmel/Microchip studio. My only motivation is observing the shell commands that are invoked to flash firmware to the Arduino DUE through the Atmel-ICE probe.

If you can show me the shell command(s) directly, that would be awesome. No need to debug anymore why Atmel/Microchip studio can't find the device :slight_smile:

Apart from the Arduino IDE, you can read or write a .bin file to/from a DUE after typing a "cmd" with Windows.

Once a cmd line is shown inside a window, copy one of these lines to read or write:

To read a .bin file inside the DUE:

Thru the programming port:
AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\bossac\1.6.1-arduino\bossac.exe --port=COM4 -U true -r image.bin

Thru the Native USB port:
AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\bossac\1.6.1-arduino\bossac -U true -r image.bin

To upload to the DUE a .bin file:

Firstly, push the Erase button for 3 seconds, then the Reset button for 3 seconds, then:

Thru the programming port:
AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\bossac\1.6.1-arduino\bossac.exe --port=COM9 -U true -e -w -u -b image.bin

Thru the Native USB port:
AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\bossac\1.6.1-arduino\bossac.exe -U true -e -w -u -b -R image.bin

Of course, the COM number might differ for you, or the arduino version 1.6.1 for me, and finally the .bin file name.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.