Arduino IDE 2.0.0 beta 12 - weird auto newlines

Hi

Newbie here ... I started using the 'old' 1.8.16 ide, but thought I'd give the new beta a go.

I get some really weird auto-newlines being inserted - I notice it particularly with comments ...

I'll position my cursor at the end of a regular statement, the press return. The cursor opens a newline, and positions itself correctly to whatever the current indent is. Great.

I type '//' and the editor inserts '// ' at column 1. Not what I want as I'd prefer the comments to obey the current indent position, but I can live with that.

Now I type my comment. After about 4 chars, the cursor drops to the next lower line, column 1 and inserts my text. No newline has been inserted, so the comment chars are added to the beginning of the next line of code. This is really BAD.

If I backtrack to the beginning of my comment and press backspace, the comment is joined up to the previous line, but with a load of extra whitespace.

I now have to manually sort out the comment line, AND the code line.

This gets VERY annoying :slight_smile:

My host system is Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (based on Ubuntu 18.04 'bionic')
java -version gives
java -version
openjdk version "11.0.11" 2021-04-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.18.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.18.04, mixed mode, sharing)

Do I need any special OS requirements - I didn't spot any when I loaded the beta ?

I can't find anyone else experiencing this kind of problem ... which leads me to believe the problem is something simple that I'm missing.

Any help ?

Please ?

-- Chris

Hi @lidgaca. It sounds like this bug:

demonstrated in this video:

Did I guess correctly?

Yes that looks like my problem.

From what I can work out from the bug report there's nothing I can do about it but wait for it to be fixed :frowning:

Thanks very much for your help !

-- Chris

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a workaround for this bug, so your only option would be to use Arduino IDE 1.8.16 until the bug in Arduino IDE 2.x is fixed.

If anyone has any ideas about a fix/workaround, or any other information about the issue, please do comment here. Unfortunately, I have not been afflicted by this problem. I say "unfortunately" because I'm a beta tester and would be able to more effectively investigate the problem if I could reproduce it myself.

If you have a GitHub account, you can subscribe to the issue report in order to get notifications about any progress the developers have on finding a fix. If you do that, please subscribe to this bug report:

I didn't notice while making my previous reply that the bug report I linked to had been closed as a duplicate https://github.com/arduino/arduino-ide/issues/437 will be used as the sole unique bug report for tracking the situation.

I can add some extra info here which may help diagnose the issue. I don't have a github user, so I can't add this to the open bug, but please add it if you feel the info would help.

This problem seems to be timing related. If I cut and paste using the mouse a section of code from another window, (either a gedit window or another arduino ide window) the code goes in 100% correct. No problems at all.

If I type it in manually ... newlines and bad formatting happen 90% of the time (I don't type very fast, and often stop to think when I type :slight_smile: ).

The system I'm using for this development work is pretty chunky ... it's an 8 core Intel i7 (can't remember the processor number, but was only bought a year ago) and I have 32 Gb of ram ... way over specced for this job. But given the timing issues noted above, debug engineers may have to use a powerful system to catch the problem.

In any case I certainly see the issue on 90% of the lines that I type ... which makes beta 12 basically unusable for me :frowning:

-- Chris