Arduino interacting with computer application

Not sure if this one fits this forum but found that the most adequate.

My question is; I want to take a input signal from arduino (through a force sensor) and by using this input I want to control a program on the computer. Imagine there is a push button, when I press it, on the app screen where will happen something.

I don't know how this connection between arduino and computer application is made.

Appreciate if you inform me further.

If you read up on Serial, this is what you want. Here's the Serial.write reference

Once the comm port on the PC recieves the message, you can do what you like with it. I've used Flash bu there's simpler/free ways, most folks use Processing or LabView I believe.

You can also send the event wireless from the Arduino using an XBee (or BT), with a USB-XBee adaptor hanging off the PC.

Carl

carlmal:
If you read up on Serial, this is what you want. Here’s the Serial.write reference

http://arduino.cc/en/Serial/write

Once the comm port on the PC recieves the message, you can do what you like with it. I’ve used Flash bu there’s simpler/free ways, most folks use Processing or LabView I believe.

You can also send the event wireless from the Arduino using an XBee (or BT), with a USB-XBee adaptor hanging off the PC.

Carl

Thanks for your answer.

So, how can I read this data from the interface of arduino. I mean how can I connect the software I wrote.
That kinda confuses me. What I want is playing some .wav files accordingly.

I wrote a demo Python program and Arduino sketch to illustrate communication between a PC and an Arduino Demo of PC-Arduino comms using Python - Interfacing w/ Software on the Computer - Arduino Forum. This assumes communication over the USB connection but the general principles would be the same for any connection.

I assume your .wav files are already on the PC so the PC program just needs to be extended to choose and play the appropriate file.

You will need to have the PC program running in the background listening for input from the Arduino.

...R

check out processing.org
the IDE was built for stuff like this. It's easy to draw shapes and whatnot while listening to the serial port signal from the arduino.