Arduino IoT Cloud

Hello,

I’m trying to get my Uno hooked up to the IoT could with an ESP8266 Wifi Shield. First of all, is this even possible?
Secondly, I’m trying to compile my sketch on the web Ide and it is asking me to include ‘functional’. I’m stumped.
I’ve followed the tutorials, and after several hours, I’m getting nowhere.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Screenshot 2020-02-23 at 19.10.39.png

ESP8266 wifi shield?
which one?

provide a link to the one you have.

supersleeky:
I'm trying to get my Uno hooked up to the IoT could with an ESP8266 Wifi Shield. First of all, is this even possible?

The Uno is not one of the supported boards for Arduino IoT Cloud. With the paid Maker plan, the ESP8266 is supported, but you need to understand there are two ways to use an ESP8266:

• The ESP8266 as a WiFi adapter running the AT firmware, controlled by a standard Arduino board like your Uno. There is no way to use Arduino IoT Cloud in this usage.
  • Programming the ESP8266 directly, as a standalone Arduino board. This usage is supported by Arduino IoT Cloud.

supersleeky:
I'm trying to compile my sketch on the web Ide and it is asking me to include 'functional'.

The sketch you're attempting to compile was written for the second usage I described above. You can compile it for the ESP8266, but not for the Uno.

ieee488:
ESP8266 wifi shield?
which one?

provide a link to the one you have.

Hi,

Yes its this one. I'm most likely going to move to a Nano IoT. Far easier for what I need.

supersleeky:
Hi,

Yes its this one. I'm most likely going to move to a Nano IoT. Far easier for what I need.

pert:
The Uno is not one of the supported boards for Arduino IoT Cloud. With the paid Maker plan, the ESP8266 is supported, but you need to understand there are two ways to use an ESP8266:

• The ESP8266 as a WiFi adapter running the AT firmware, controlled by a standard Arduino board like your Uno. There is no way to use Arduino IoT Cloud in this usage.
  • Programming the ESP8266 directly, as a standalone Arduino board. This usage is supported by Arduino IoT Cloud.

The sketch you're attempting to compile was written for the second usage I described above. You can compile it for the ESP8266, but not for the Uno.

Thanks a lot for the info, I thought it would something along those lines.
Appreciate it!

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance. I have not tried Arduino IoT Cloud with an ESP8266 yet, but I have had good experiences using it with my Nano 33 IoT board. Enjoy!
Per