Arduino MEGA 2560 is not working

When I connect my Arduino MEGA 2560 to USB, the power LED remains ON and the "L" LED starts blinking continuously. When I try to upload a program, the RX LED doesn't blink and a n error is appeared:
Binary sketch size: 1,632 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

I am new with Arduino. What should I do to fix it?

Tell us what operating system you use, what version of the IDE, where you got your board from and what you have tried so far would help to answer that question.

I have a similar problem, or at least the same symptoms.

The board is an Arduino Mega 2560. I do not know how to tell a revision number on it, but was sold as Rev 3. So far as I am able to determine it is a genuine product, not a knock-off.

I have tried different PCs, Win 8 (64 bit) Win 7 (64 bit) and Windows 2008 server (32 bit) with the same results.

I have tried both version 1.0.6 and 1.5.8 of the IDE, with the same results.

I have tried the loopback test, with RESET jumpered to GND and TX0 (pin 0) jumpered to RX0 (Pin 1) which appears to fail. I am unsure if I have this done correctly. I do see the RX light flash while trying to upload a program, but not the TX light, even during the loopback.

This board worked for a while, I had programs running on it, and had successfully uploaded several programs on it previously, while working with it, it suddenly stopped communicating with the PC, and has not worked since. I did have a shield board attached, which I have separated, and am therefore only running the arduino on a USB cable.

Given that it worked initially, and that the loopback test appears to be failing, does this mean that my arduino is dead? If so, how can I have any assurance that a replacement is going to last more than the hour or so that this one did?

I solved by installing this driver usb interface http://www.arduined.eu/files/CH341SER.zip