Arduino Mini 05, I can't upload a sketch

Hello,

I connected my Arduino Mini to a USB2Serial (original from Arduino) connecting just: RX->TX TX->RX power supply and GND from USB2Serial direclty. Reset of Arduino connected to +Vdc through resistance 10K. (avoidning having it floating)

I tried to add a led 1/4W with a resistance of 333 ohm to the pin 13 but I can't see nothing.. when I press reset button the led still off.

When I try to upload a program (e.g. blink) it builds but is not able to connect to the "programmer":

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 3 2014 at 23:12:16 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM25 Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01

the speed od serial port 25 in my pc is 115200 as required by Arduino IDE..

I have some doubts: 1. why "using programmer" is arduino? It seems that it's trying to upload through another Arduino when I'm uploading through USB2Serial.. 2. RX, TX, Reset, are equal in the Arduino? There are 2 pins for both.. 3. how to handle reset: better to have it disconnected and the button it's enough? I should connect the pin in order to avoid it floating? 4. bootloader: how to know if it's there? Led 1/4W + 333ohm is ok to see it flashing? 5. in case there isn't bootloader, I should buy another device to download it? USB2Serial is not enough, right? any suggestion?

The Arduino MINI 05 is new.. bought from RS-components.

Bye Andrea

What USB to serial converter are you using?

Hi, the USB2Serial is from Arduino: code: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/USBSerial http://store.arduino.cc/product/A000059

The driver on Win7 installed is called: Arduino USB Serial Light Adapter (COM25)

When I call Update from the IDE of Arduino, the USB adapter flashes RX some times before give me the error. But.. why RX instead of TX?

Another small detail: on Arduino MINI, the power led is yellow and not green as I can read everywhere.. means something?

Thanks Andrea

Waiting someone that can help me.. :P answering all (or part of them) my questions doubts, I have an additional question: Can I download bootloader using a raspberry? I have one, so..

How have you got it wired up?

Hello,

as I wrote, I connected USB2Serial directly to Arduino Mini:

TX->RX RX->TX 5Vdc -> 5Vdc GND->GND

The power is from USB..

I tried to connect reset (ext) from USB2Serial directly to reset input of Arduino.. I tried to connect reset of Arduino to 5Vdc through resistance 10Kohm I tried using the reset button

Please, help me to understand: Ho I can recognize if the bootloader is correctly installed? I found different opinion on the web, someone wrote that is enough to see power led on, someone else checking pin 13 with resistance and a led, it should blink after pressing reset button.. so.. what is the best test?

In case the bootloader is not there.. can I download it just using the USB2Serial adapter or using a Raspberry PI B+?

Thanks Andrea

Can you post a link to where the pro mini came from?

It's from RS-Components: http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/kit-di-sviluppo-per-processori-e-microcontrollori/7617327/

it's seems declared as delivered with bootloader..

The adapeter is from the same supplier.

Be careful, it's Arduino Mini 05 and not PRO!

Bye

Press reset just before the upload actually starts to initiate the bootloader. I know how to wire up a pro mini... but can't see the pinout of that board to tell you where to connect the reset to.

Hello, Ok.. but, I' sorry.. nothing new. Can you go through my questions, my doubts to help me? My question was: how to recognize if the bootloader is really there. The pinout is easily found in this site, on board section. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMini Thanks

Nobody knows how to check if bootloader is present in arduino mini 05?

At least, there is someone that has experience using Arduino USB2Serial? Why it blink RX when I try to Upload a sketch, instead TX?

If the Arduino Mini doesn't response, I'm expecting that only TX is blinking.. isn't it? :sob:

Hello,

I tried also with a capacitor 100 nF for auto-reset... nothing..

I tried all I guess.. nobody can help me??

Post a picture of how it is set up.

Ok, attached 2 pictures.
I tried also to reverse TX and RX but nothing.

Bye
Andrea

Have you tried it without the capacitor in the reset line?

Have you tried pressing reset just as the upload starts?

Hello,

yes, I did both. If you quickly read the thread, I already wrote all tests I did... I did many other tests without communicate.

But.. it makes sense that in USB2Serial, uploading I see RX led blinking? and not the TX?

I already tried also to reverse TX->RX but nothing.

RX should be connected to TX and vice versa.

Hmm... I am a bit stumped.

I use a CH340 connected like this.

In your experience… even you never used Arduino Mini 05, do you see something wrong
in my conncetion? If you have to connect them, do you follow a different schema?
I don’t have DTR… it’s the same of RESET in my case?

Can you tell me something about the bootloader?
how to check if it is saved inside my Arduino Mini?

Normally a working mini would have the blink stetch loaded so powering it would make the LED blink around once a second.

I presume reset is the same as DTR.