arduino not shwoing up in device manager

I have an arduino pro micro and when i plug it in to the usb i do not get the alert sound that i just plugged something in, nor does it show up in my device manager anywhere. The green light comes on, but the two red lights do not. I followed the drictions for a loop reset, but with it not showing up in the device manager i cant do anything with it in the arduino ide. Any help is appreciated.

You're possibly using a charge-only cable.

If that same cable fits your cell phone, you can test if the computer recognises your cell phone.

Also ensure th cable is FULLY inserted as that to is a common issue the board may be receiving power but the DATA lines might not be engaged !

sterretje:
You're possibly using a charge-only cable.

If that same cable fits your cell phone, you can test if the computer recognises your cell phone.

I thought that might have been the issue, so i took the cable from a different project that functions perfectly and have the same result.

ballscrewbob:
Also ensure th cable is FULLY inserted as that to is a common issue the board may be receiving power but the DATA lines might not be engaged !

I took the cable out, and put it back in, the red lights came on and immediately went off. I tried again and just the green light the second time. I'm going to get another board, I'm assuming that this one has a fault. Unless there's something I'm missing, which could be the case, I'm pretty new at this, only the second project.

Due to the USB stack running on the same chip as your sketch with this board, it is possible for code in your sketch to break the USB functionality. Fortunately, the upload code (bootloader) is stored in a separate section of memory and can not be broken by the sketch code. The only tricky thing is that the bootloader has to be activated at just the right time during the upload. Normally this is done by some special code that runs in the background of your sketch code recognizing a 1200 baud connection as the signal to reset the microcontroller and start the bootloader. However, in your current situation, that system wont work so you'll need to manually reset the board to activate the bootloader.

You need to get the timing right. If you press the reset button too early, the bootloader will have already timed out by the time the upload starts. The tricky thing is that when you press the "Upload" button in the Arduino IDE, it first compiles your sketch before starting the actual upload. So you need to wait until after the compilation finishes before pressing the reset button.

Do this:

Sketch > Upload

Watch the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window. As soon as you see something like this:

Sketch uses 444 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

press and release the reset button.

After that, the sketch should upload successfully. After that, if the problem persists, you know there is something in your sketch that is breaking the USB functionality. You can verify this by uploading the File > New sketch, after which the board should be recognized by your computer and you should be able to upload normally. If so, you will need to find out what it is in your sketch breaking the USB code. Now that you know how to recover your board, that should be manageable.

Pert,

I had asked you about a code i was using on another thread. I just noticed the code i was using was for an arduino micro and im using an arduino nano. Would this make any difference?

kcduncan:
im using an arduino nano

The board in the picture you shared above is a Pro Micro, not a Nano.

I am aware of that, but you answered another question I posted in another thread. Sorry to change topics here but you didnt respond when I posted the info you asked for on the other thread. I’m
Making a button box and the code did not work. I’m curious if using a nano instead of a micro is the problem. It was including a keypad and joystick.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.