Arduino Power Question

Hello all.

I am working on a project for arduino, and I need to use a 7.5 volt power supply to the arduino. The Vin pin is connected to the motor driver. I need to simultaneously run the motor (with 7.5 volts) and maintain serial communications between my laptop and the arduino to debug and gather sensor values. If I connect both the USB and the power supply, will the total voltage be the combination (which is I believe 12+ volts)? How else could I acheive this?

Thank you
Tyler

As far as I can understand from the schematics of an UNO board, the Vin is used to generate a 5V supply on the board with a regulator. Also, the USBVcc is isolated from that 5V rail by a P channel MOSFET which is driven by a comparator.
I do not see how the 5V from your USB connection would be added to your Vin of 7.5V. I think they will coexist. They have a common ground.

I've done that for months no problem. Powering through Vin and USB is just fine.

tyler_newcomb:
If I connect both the USB and the power supply, will the total voltage be the combination (which is I believe 12+ volts)? How else could I acheive this?

No, everything is relative to the same ground.

Thanks everyone!