Arduino rs485 to PC transmission

Greetings,

I am working on a small project that requires a communication between Arduino ( I am using pro mini but could be any Arduino ) and my PC. I am guessing that obvious choice of hardware for this project would be rs485 to usb/ttl converters, and what I would like to achieve is to send few variables, integer type to be precise, plus time values to my PC and create a simple app that would display those values sent from Arduino ( like in the image below ), but don’t get me wrong I do not want to save that data so PLX-DAQ is not what I am looking for and neither is serial.print to serial monitor on Arduino nor is Putty or other programs like that, I simply need to send that data from Arduino to my PC app and process it from there, so my question is how do I do that? I got the “app part” just need get data there. Now when it comes to transmission/communication I am completely clueless about it so if someone could explain that as simple as it can be, and possibly with some examples.

Thank You very much in advance for Your help.
Best regards,
Terry.

app.jpg

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

If you make your "app" on the PC using a program called "Processing" you can display your data like that and send it using Serial.print or Serial.write.

If you google processing and arduino projects

You will find many examples that may be what you are looking for.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

Oh I do apologize if I violated any of the forum rules.

This Processing program is not exactly what I was looking for, but it seems like a very powerful and useful tool so I am definitely gonna look into it, thank you for that suggestion indeed Tom.

And from what I understand, considering choice of hardware I need to use ttl > rs485 on Arduino side and usb > rs485 on the PC side to be able to "establish communication" between those two, am I correct?

Terrius:
Oh I do apologize if I violated any of the forum rules.

This Processing program is not exactly what I was looking for, but it seems like a very powerful and useful tool so I am definitely gonna look into it, thank you for that suggestion indeed Tom.

And from what I understand, considering choice of hardware I need to use ttl > rs485 on Arduino side and usb > rs485 on the PC side to be able to "establish communication" between those two, am I correct?

No, you already have serial communications through the USB to RS232/TTL cable you program the pro-mini with.
That appears to the PC as a com port which Processing can access.

There is no RS485 involved.

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?
Tom.... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
No, you already have serial communications through the USB to RS232/TTL cable you program the pro-mini with.
That appears to the PC as a com port which Processing can access.

Yes I do realize that however, I have to use the RS-485 protocol, but anyway I have found necessary information about the hardware.

As for the experience well nothing to special to brag about, I have ~2 years Electronics and programming with Arduino, mostly as a hobby only recently I have started to work in professional electronics, if that is what You are asking about.

Hi,

I am guessing that obvious choice of hardware for this project would be rs485 to usb/ttl converters

Why do you need RS-485, distance?

Tom... :slight_smile:

Yes, distance is one problem, and secondly I forgot to mention, that It is not going to be Arduino but "raw" atmega, so I need to collect data from it and display it onto PC screen / Laptop, either one is fine. I have tried this Processing it will be the right tool to do so, I just need to get the data.

Hi,
"raw atmega"... machine code?

How does Arduino fit in?

By "raw" atmega i meant microcontroller itself not the Arduino board.

Quite simple that very atmega is going to send the data and I am going to receive it possibly with an arduino pro mini on the other side or simply just the rs485-usb converter, probably the latter.

Anyway I have found the solution to all my questions so I guess the topic can be closed :slight_smile:

Hi,
Then if you are using a micro, the output will be TTL.
So you need to go from TTL to RS485 converter ================ RS485 to USB converter.