Arduino UNO DIP vs Arduino UNO SMD

I just bought an arduino UNO ( SMD version) from http://www.w11stop.com/ and want to know that is there any other difference between Arduino UNO DIP and Arduino UNO SMD besides knowing that the SMD version doesn't have a DIP chip which can be replaced??

I am just a beginner so please help me if I am wrong!

No. 5V & 3.3V regulators may vary, and USB/Serial chip may vary, as actual Arduino SMD version was only made in limited quantities during a period when DIPs were in short supply. Non-Arduino made may use other than Atmega16U2 for the USB/Serial interface, requiring a different PC driver.

How can i find out that my regulator is 5V or 3.3V? Also people have told me that both the SMD and DIP versions works the same? I am really confused now =(

SMD and DIP versions do work the same. It's the same chip.

Clone boards (ie, boards not manufactured by Arduino.cc or Arduino.org - ie, the vast majority of so-called arduino boards) may use different serial interface chip (usually CH340G's - these work fine, but driver not included with IDE. Google will find it no prob though), and slightly different supporting components (regulator, etc). This is true of both DIP and SMD versions - there are minor differences between official and clone boards, and between different makes of clone.

If it's an Uno or clone thereof, unless it says it's 3.3v, it's 5v.

The board should have both a 5V (800mA limit) and 3.3V (150mA) regulator. Unless it uses FT232 for the USB/Serial, than the 3.3V may only come from the FT232 (50mA limit). The actual regulator part number may vary from what is used on Arduino brand boards if the board is not Arduino brand.

SMD & DIP are the same die inside a different mechanical package which brings the die pads out to where a user can access them.

Since you are a newbie Arduino UNO DIP and Arduino UNO SMD will work the same for you. SMD version were introduced becuase of the shortage of DIP versions and nothing else! The clone versions however have many problems, i bought a UNO clone (cheaper version) and it gave me a lot of trouble! The digital pins burned out and I wasted 2 days in knowing that my UNO is a crap.

Also you can send an email to W11 STOP from where you bought the UNO to confirm that your UNO is 5V, i have checked the website and the product description and it seems that the UNO is fine.

Danish_Javed: Also you can send an email to W11 STOP from where you bought the UNO to confirm that your UNO is 5V, i have checked the website and the product description and it seems that the UNO is fine.

I have checked the Arduino Uno an its working fine at 5V logic level.

Thank you all for your kind support.

Arduino Uno DIP and Arduino Uno SMD are the same in software and hardware... the only difference between them is that UNO DIP version uses dip ic with an ic base so it can be removed easily and used on another board, replaced by another atmega328p with bootloader. Arduino SMD version has a built-in IC (ATMega328p) which cannot be replaced.

Specification are same for both the modules

the only difference is Controller from Arduino Uno DIP can directly be used in bread board.

but uno smd is cheaper as compare to DIP