Arduino UNO Motor shield V3 measuring motor current

Hi,

I have written a sketch to measure the motor current that is attached to a Arduino motor shield V3. I think I have the code right.
the datasheet says it is calibrated to read 2A at 3.3V. I notice that the values were not steady, is this because we are giving it a PWM signal and the current is also like a PWM signal?

So in the code I did the following:

// Arduino UNO Motor Shield V3 Test

const int motorCurrentInAPin = A0;  // Analog input pin that the current sensing A is attached to
const int motorCurrentInBPin = A1;  // Analog input pin that the current sensing B is attached to

int motorCurrentA = 0; // Variable for motor current A
int motorCurrentB = 0; // Variable for motor current B

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600); // Initialize Serial Communications
}

void loop() {
  motorCurrentA = analogRead(motorCurrentInAPin);            // Read motor current A
  motorCurrentB = analogRead(motorCurrentInAPin);            // Read motor current B
  Serial.print("Pin A0 = " );                                                // Print the value at Pin A0
  Serial.print(motorCurrentA);                                          // Print the value at Pin A0
  Serial.print("\t Pin A1 = ");                                             // Print the value at Pin A1
  Serial.print(motorCurrentB);                                          // Print the value at Pin A1
  motorCurrentA = map(motorCurrentA, 0, 675, 0, 2000);    // Scale motor current A, 0 = 0V = 0 ma, 675 = 3.3V = 2000 mA
  motorCurrentB = map(motorCurrentB, 0, 675, 0, 2000);    // Scale motor current B, 0 = 0V = 0 ma, 675 = 3.3V = 2000 mA
  Serial.print("\t Current A = ");                                        // Print the actual motor current A value
  Serial.print(motorCurrentA);                                         // Print the actual motor current A value
  Serial.print(" mA");                                                      // Print the actual motor current A value
  Serial.print("\t Current B = ");                                        // Print the actual motor current B value
  Serial.print(motorCurrentB);                                         // Print the actual motor current B value
  Serial.print(" mA");                                                     // Print the actual motor current B value

delay(2);                                                                   // Delay 2 ms                     
}
  motorCurrentA = analogRead(motorCurrentInAPin);            // Read motor current A
  motorCurrentB = analogRead(motorCurrentInAPin);            // Read motor current B
  Serial.print("Pin A0 = " );                                                // Print the value at Pin A0
  Serial.print(motorCurrentA);                                          // Print the value at Pin A0
  Serial.print("\t Pin A1 = ");                                             // Print the value at Pin A1
  Serial.print(motorCurrentB);                                          // Print the value at Pin A1

You might get more stable results if you give the ADC time to settle. That can be as little as the time it takes to print the first string and value.

Second, you need to realize that the ADC is rather course, being only a 10 bit device. There will be variations in the last bit.

I notice that the values were not steady

But you don't want us to see them, is that it?