Arduino Uno + Solar Power Bank + Boost DC-DC Converter

Good morning all,

i would like to power my Arduino uno with a solar power bank using a boost DC-DC converter to reach the 7V input needed.

Now, suppose the solar power bank has no energy at the moment and i have already linked it to arduino.

What would happens if i put it at the sun light? I mean, will the arduino works properly or will it consume all the energy as it starts and then it will try to restart everytime it has some energy? (finishing the energy again)

If the second option holds, is there a way to say: "ok, now wait until you have enough energy to do some operations and then do it" ? (Maybe with some component between the power bank and arduino)

Using more solar power banks in parallel could help?

I hope you can help me with this :slight_smile:
Thanks and have a good week-end

litya:
i would like to power my Arduino uno with a solar power bank using a boost DC-DC converter to reach the 7V input needed.

What makes you think an Arduino needs 7volts.

Does your (unknown) solar bank have a USB socket?

Post a link.
Leo..

Hello Leo,

Arduino specifics say it accept between 7V and 12V to the power jack, or 5V through usb.

For your question, yes, my solar bank has a USB socket. I think i will use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Innoo-Tech-Waterproof-Dust-Proof-Shock-Resistant/dp/B0154LKDH4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1446289454&sr=8-8&keywords=solar+power+bank

Thanks for help

It is better to use solar to charge a battery that power's your arduino.

here is a good write up on the subject :
Solar power for your arduino – basics

That is what i was looking for, thank you.

Could you tell me what are the differences of choosing to recharge a battery through solar vs using a solar power bank?

Isn't it the same of using the solar power bank with a charge regulator?

The batteries keep it going when it is not getting enough solar power.

The solar power bank is a type of battery i think, the one i linked has a capacity of 15000mAh. :slight_smile:

If it is right, are the two solutions equivalent?

your link has little info but I am sure does not have any batteries itself so no not the same at all.

litya:
Arduino specifics say it accept between 7V and 12V to the power jack, or 5V through usb.

You can connect a "solar + battery bank" directly to the Arduino with a USB lead.
A solar "charger" (without inbuild battery) won't work.

Battery banks do have a boost converter to step-up from the LiPo battery voltage to 5volt USB socket.
Expect the amp-hours to be ~2/3 of the rating because of that.
And don't trust the factory rating on the pack.
Leo..

Hi,
If you READ the OP link to amazon.....

It includes a battery, BECAUSE it is a charging bank, it uses the PV panel to charge and integrated battery.
The output is 5V ready to use USB.

You do not need the 7V boost as arduino has 5V input.

Tom...... :slight_smile:

Hello Tom,

thank you for your help, it is now clear to me that i can remove the boost converter :slight_smile:

Now i have a last question; the charge regulator works when i have a solar panel and a battery that are not in the same device so that you can connect their wires in the charge controller (it has 6 entries for battery, load and charge).

Is there a similar device (similar to charge controller) that works with a device where battery and charge are in the same device (as the power bank do)?

I need the function that when the battery has low charge the load get disconnected until the battery get enough charge (maybe exists a device with this function but i don't know his name :p).

Thank you and good evening.

Can you provide the following info:

1. Your location (Country/City).
  2. The devices you are planning on running (sensors/Arduino and any other hardware).
  3. The solar/PV cell you have (a Wattage rating).

Oh sorry...I have just seen the amazon link.

I bought one of those and they are seriously nowhere near the "rated" capacity they advertise.
I pulled it apart and it seems they happily add a 0 or maybe two 0s to the capacity rating on the advert...

They also take a long time to charge in good sun, 40 hours on that one apparently...so it will drain quickly depending on what you are running.

Assuming you need 400mA at 5V = 2.5W ish. Even with full sun, that solar panel with 100% efficient components does not look like it could even power the arduino in the first place with no charge.

I made my own power station for my greenhouse using some deep-cycle lead acid batteries, a solar control charger (Solar Charge Controller) and a decent 80W solar panel.

You can of course try scale this down...but if you want to be drawing over an Amp 24/7 at 5V...then yeah...you need something a bit more hefty.