Arduino Yun -- read variable from file without using SD card.

Hello everyone,

First I'd like to say that I am really enjoying imagining the possibilities for this board.

Now to my question. I'm not much of a programmer, and I've googled my head off on this one. I have setup a Yun to poll a specific piece of text data on the network (it's a number, so I could use integer or string either one). It stores the data in a very small text file on the linino file system. Please note, there is no sd card involved. This project will entail the arduino being housed in an outdoor environment where salt and humidity are present (obviously I will be protecting the board from this), and an SD card's contacts are just one more thing to worry about. I'd rather not use one just to simplify the environmentals, in other words.

Since the text file is very very small, less than 1K in size, I see no reason that I shouldn't just use the native filesystem resident on the chip. The hitch I'm running into with my searches is that none of the results insofar as I've been able to see address opening a file that is resident on the native filesystem (they all talk about using an SD card). I hope I have explained this properly.

I'm not looking for anyone to write my code for me, but if someone could point me in the right direction as to the correct library or workaround, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance.

Bill

Well I've answered my own question finally. The answer is the bridge library. Specifically, I used CURL to retrieve the information and display it on the serial monitor. It should all be simple assembly of the code now.