AVR Dragon

Hi guys,
I found on internet AVR Dragon, but what does it for? I want to learn more about this device, it can perfom a debug on a lof of AVR microprocessors, but which language i have to use to program it? In short, what can i do with AVR Dragon? What does it for?

An AVR dragon is Atmels in system debugger / programmer
To use it you will need to program the microcontroller with out using Arduino.
Via SPI or Jtag..mostly you'll probably use spi

Unlike the Arduino when programming Avr you will also probably want to use Atmel Studio 6 , which is free. Furthermore with an avr programmer you have the ability to use Atmels 8-32 bit uC's which all together I think there's probably over 200 different microcontrollers you can pick from even the ARM core based. If your looking to make something for professional commercial use and do not wish to publish your source or board design then go for it. If your just a hobbyist then I think the arduino line will suit most if not all your needs.

Oh and there's no Arduino code..no digitalwrite this or analog read..you have to use embedded C . Which is not hard either. Oh and your arduino libraries are no good. But atmel studio has its own tools. And then you might want to join the AVR freaks forum.

Thanks for your replies.
what is embedded C? What can i Control with the debug on an Atmega 328 for example?
And how replace Arduino's code with embedded C?

eddiea6987:
Oh and there's no Arduino code..no digitalwrite this or analog read..you have to use embedded C . Which is not hard either. Oh and your arduino libraries are no good. But atmel studio has its own tools. And then you might want to join the AVR freaks forum.

There is a 'Arduino for Atmel Studio' plugin for Atmel Studio 6.1 which should make it possible to use the Arduino core and libraries within Atmel Studio, but I haven't used it myself, so I can't tell you how good it works.

Michael

I think it works good, but what can i Control with the debug in a microcontroller? And which language should i use to program a microcontroller through AVR Dragon?