Best Small Bluetooth Module for the UNO?

Hello,

I’m looking for a small bluetooth module that can be used with the Arduino UNO. Can anyone recommend one that isn’t too hard to work with? I’d like to emphasize the fact that it should be small, just cause I don’t want it to occupy much space so it’s easier to integrate into my project. I guess I’ll also need a good, small battery too if I’m adding Bluetooth then… so if anyone could suggest one of those that’s also easy to integrate with the UNO that’d be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks!

gehrc: Can anyone recommend one that isn't too hard to work with?

Hi

I can only speak with limited experience. We're using a couple of the Bluetooth Bees from Seeed. Because they're a bee, we need some kind of interface hardware so are using the Bees shield. I understand the chipset is common across a lot of these modules and you can get bluetooth functionality on a breakout board which is cheaper again, and won't need the sheild.

So far I've found it very easy to work with. There are two modes, one you put it in to set it up and one you put it in (default) for data. When in setup mode you can get it to pair with another device, then the simplest way to work with it is to set it to automatically connect to its paired device on power on, when the connection drops, and when the other device returns to range. Then in your sketch you don't even have to worry about the connection, just worry about the data.

In the normal mode, it's just a serial device to the Arduino, so you set it up using the SoftwareSerial library and use your regular read(), write() and available() methods for communicating with the paired device.

Hope this helps (if not for your selection of hardware, at least to boost your understanding of the ease-of-use side of things) Geoff

BluetoothMate really easy to connect to any Arduino specially a PRO but will work with UNO too very small but then BlueSmirf is good too

I've used a bluetooth serial module off ebay for 10$ and it works great with my android phone, haven't used it for much other than serial

what is the problem with that serial bluetooth then? i think its pretty easy to connect any bluetooth serial pipe module to any arduino if it operated on 5v or else for 3.3v only added complexity is the in between level converter at power point.

Awesome, thanks for the responses! Now which battery should I pick? And also, after attaching the bluetooth, can I desolder the USB? I’m trying to keep it as flat as I can get it, but the UNO provides everything I need so I really don’t want to go smaller. Also, how would I go about using a battery on the UNO then?.. haha

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-bluetooth-rs232-ttl-transceiver-module-80711

/Thread

Get a Lithium Back pack (check sparkfun) and yes you can desolder the USB port on the UNO but then you have to program it using the Bluetooth but then its fun.

I looked for the backpack on SparkFun, but didn't find it. I did find an instructable for installing it here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Install-the-Arduino-to-the-Lithium-Backpack/

Are the 5v and 3.3v connectors moved to the backpack then? Also, can I also de-solder the DC jack as well using this thing?

gehrc: Are the 5v and 3.3v connectors moved to the backpack then? Also, can I also de-solder the DC jack as well using this thing?

From their page the battery is boost regulated to 5V so you'd you'd still run external circuits from the Arduino supplies. The battery itself ranges from 2-4.5V so I don't think it would be of benefit to try to tap it directly.

If you're trying to make your setup very slim, then you could desolder the Arduino's DC jack, but you've already added a great deal of thickness if you're intending to install the backpack under the Arduino with stand-offs. From the specs it does charge through the Arduino 5V also (if you choose to do that, you do need to manually select 'charge' with a switch), so you'd need to find another way to supply power to the Arduino for recharges, and if the USB or any of the headers are still in place you've not gained any by removing it.

Alright, I'll forget about de-soldering for now. So I can still use both 5v and 3.3v pins with this thing, whenever they get them back in the SparkFun store (if they do). I can't seem to find it in any of the normal places I look though...

There was a link on the page you first linked to which leads here http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/MBP/Lithium+Backpack ...not sure if they have it in stock though. If you're not stuck on this as a solution, depending on how long you want to run it there are other ways, for example using a USB charger (we use a solar USB charger with built-in Lithium Ion battery for example sometimes)

I mean this looks like the easiest way. I was trying to keep everything as condensed as possible, but if I can't (yet) then that's fine - I'm only working on a prototype. I'd like to be able to order it from SparkFun because I won one of the gift cards on free day ;) But I see a 3.3v pin on the backpack pictured. Do I just plug that into the 3.3v pin on the board, as well as the other one going into the 5v pin or would that fry my board? Also, do I just shove the jumper in there with the cable when I need to use the pin for my project? Thanks!!

gehrc: But I see a 3.3v pin on the backpack pictured. Do I just plug that into the 3.3v pin on the board, as well as the other one going into the 5v pin or would that fry my board? Also, do I just shove the jumper in there with the cable when I need to use the pin for my project? Thanks!!

My presumption is the 5V is for most Arduino models (Uno etc) and the 3.3V is for low voltage models like the Pro http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardPro and other smaller form factor compatibles.

The instructions show only hooking up one, so select the one that best applies to the model Arduino you're using, light the blue touch paper and stand back...

Alright, well, I appreciate the suggestion. I’ll see what else I can find like this, but the Lithium Backpack might be my way to go here when I can find it. Thanks so much!

If you have a sparkfun credit to use up, does http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10711 do the job for you?