Boost Converter not Working!!!

I ordered a Boost Converter from here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVJDEZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is supposed to make sparks, but it doesn't! I tried many things:

2 AA batteries in a battery pack: Nothing happened Arduino 5V and GND connected to the boost converter. Nothing happened. 4 AA batteries in a battery pack: high-pitched noise from boost converter, but no sparks!

This is the SECOND boost converter I've ordered! And it still does nothing!

Help would be awesome!

-SQ

Edit: Oh my God! I'm so sorry! Just corrected the link!

(deleted)

spycatcher2k: A working link would be awesome!

I'm so sorry I just edited the original post and corrected the link.

So why complain to us? Can't Amazon or the original seller help you?

Unless this is spam?

(deleted)

No, I'm a real person. I just think that I might use this with Arduino once I get it working and thus assumed you would be able to help me. (Considering it IS electronics)

spycatcher2k: 2A - 5A current required! Could be your problem.

How many amps is 2AA batteries in a in a normal battery holder? How many amps is 4AA batteries in a in a normal battery holder? How can I manipulate the amps of a power source such as this?

Uh-oh. By connecting the 4 batteries to it could I have damaged it?

The link says it'll take 3-6vdc in , so should be OK

Complain to the seller....

Allan

allanhurst: The link says it'll take 3-6vdc in , so should be OK

You mean I didn't break it? Phew!

But measure the voltage on the input when you connect up your batteries, you might just find you have flat batteries.

How many amps is 2AA batteries in a in a normal battery holder?

Batteries do not contain amps.

They don't... they store so many joules, expressed in ampere-hours at a declining voltage as the battery/cell is discharged..

A cell is a single unit , a battery is an assembly of several cells.

But decent quality new AA alkaline cells should deliver 2A easily..

Allan

ps a stupid question - I take it you got the polarity right? by convention red is +, black -.

How many amps is 2AA batteries in a in a normal battery holder?

I dont' know... You might get 1 Amp, but I'm pretty sure the voltage is going to "sag" with such a big load.

The easiest thing for you to do is measure the battery voltage with the thing connected.

And at 400kV you're not going to get much current, so I wonder if you have to be in a dark room to see any sparks?

...Almost half a million volts is rather fishy, the specs aren't very "professional", and the English translation is poor.

Grumpy_Mike: But measure the voltage on the input when you connect up your batteries, you might just find you have flat batteries.

So you're saying that I should use a voltameter to measure the output from my battery holder, and if it is decent I connect it to the boost converter? Is that what you mean?

DVDdoug: The easiest thing for you to do is measure the battery voltage with the thing connected.

Will measuring also tell me the Amps?

See https://d2ei442zrkqy2u.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MN1500_US_CT1.pdf

The internal impedance of a new cell is 120mohm, so the volts would drop to about 1.25 with a 2A load.

4 in series should work, though not for very long

Allan

allanhurst: 4 in series should work, though not for very long

So your saying 4 AA batteries would work? What do you mean "not for very long?" Would it burn out or something? Or does it just need to recharge/cool-off and can only activate for short bursts? If it is the latter case, then that's ok. It'll only be on for 2-3 second bursts at a time. If it's gonna burn out over time - that is obviously a problem.

It'll work for a sporadic few seconds... but you won't get anywhere the 2.2AH ( 10-hour rate ) capacity running at a smaller load.

Allan

stupid-questions:
So you’re saying that I should use a voltameter to measure the output from my battery holder, and if it is decent I connect it to the boost converter? Is that what you mean?

No.
I mean measure the voltage of your batteries AND while still measuring them connect then to your converter and see how the voltage holds up under load.

stupid-questions: I ordered a Boost Converter from here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVJDEZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is supposed to make sparks, but it doesn't! I tried many things:

2 AA batteries in a battery pack: Nothing happened Arduino 5V and GND connected to the boost converter. Nothing happened. 4 AA batteries in a battery pack: high-pitched noise from boost converter, but no sparks!

This is the SECOND boost converter I've ordered! And it still does nothing!

Help would be awesome!

-SQ

Edit: Oh my God! I'm so sorry! Just corrected the link!

That's probably not something you should mess with when you don't know basic DC electric let alone about the device itself.

"High pressure type: the type of pulse current " -- output? input? Do you know? What will it do to sparks?

Hook a 5A 5V supply up to it and you may find that you can get hurt. The note says "Output voltage: 400000 v(Please pay attention to safety)".

If you want to make sparks, 12V will spark visibly. Learn to wind coils, make a Tesla coil, you'll get sparks. Even a Kelvin water-drop generator can make sparks.

However this widget works, lets presume it's 100% efficient(?!)

4v at 2A in , 400kV out - the current will be 20uA. I'm not sure you'll see such a spark..

Try looking at it in the dark...

Allan.

I got it to work! The problem was with the voltage supply... Thanks!