Can I control this SIM808 shield (GSM/GPS module) with an Arduino

Hi,

I’d like to use a GSM/GPS module with my Arduino Uno, namely the SIM808 module from Simcom: http://simcom.ee/modules/gsm-gprs-gnss/sim808/

Of course I won’t solder this module myself, so I need a shield with that SIM808 soldered on it.

I found plenty of them on AliExpress, but there is very little information on how to use them with Arduino. It seems possible because a lot of them include something like “[…] for Arduino” in their title.

Let’s consider the shield I uploaded in attachment of this message. It has:

• A serial interface (or two? see my question below)
  • A DC044 interface for power supply
  • Switches/buttons to turn it on/off
  • A SIM card holder
  • Connectors for GSM/GPS/Bluetooth antennas

Everything needed seems present, but I’m wondering:

• Given that the SIM808 module can be controlled with AT commands over a serial interface, it should work with an Arduino, right?
  • If you look closely on the bottom-left corner of the picture in attachment, it looks like there are FOUR pins for serial communication: TXD, RXD and right below RXD, TXD. Why are there four of them? Which ones should I use?

Thank you!

sim808shield_big.png

If you look closely on the bottom-left corner of the picture in attachment, it looks like there are FOUR pins for serial communication: TXD, RXD and right below RXD, TXD. Why are there four of them? Which ones should I use?

Perhaps you should look at your post title, for a clue. There are TWO devices in that chip - A GPS and a GSM. You talk to them independently.

PaulS:
Perhaps you should look at your post title, for a clue. There are TWO devices in that chip - A GPS and a GSM. You talk to them independently.

Thank you for your answer!

Indeed it makes sense. But there should be another RXD/TXD pair for Bluetooth then?

Or does it make sense to control Bluetooth via the GSM module?