Can I run two arduinos on the same laptop

Hey guy quick question. Can I run two arduinos (powered separately) on the same laptop on different windows? I do not even want them to communicate, each of them will be doing different tasks.

Yes.

Yup. Just pick the appropriate port for each one when uploading to it, and you can have as many as you want.

I’m not sure if the Arduino serial monitor can be attached to two boards at once, but if not, there are plenty of other serial monitors.

You can't use two Arduino serial monitors at the same time, I have just checked.

Got it. Thanks guys!! I don't really need the serial monitor for both so that's fine

ChilliTronix: You can't use two Arduino serial monitors at the same time, I have just checked.

You can if you use two separate installations of the IDE. Naturally they still have to be pointed at different com ports.

You can't use two Arduino serial monitors at the same time, I have just checked.

Yes you can. Each arduino will create its own virtual serial port on the computer. You do not need two separate installations of the IDE. Start a second instance of the IDE and using tools verify it is using the second serial port.

zoomkat: Yes you can. Each arduino will create its own virtual serial port on the computer. You do not need two separate installations of the IDE. Start a second instance of the IDE and using tools verify it is using the second serial port.

Just tried this (using v1.0.6 under Windows XP). Although both incidences were indeed able to open separate serial monitors. Both were then in a crashed state. I had to terminate them with task manager.

Earlier rev's of the IDE seemed to support two Arduino's at the same time better on two com ports.

CrossRoads: Earlier rev's of the IDE seemed to support two Arduino's at the same time better on two com ports.

Just tried it with 1.0.5 rev 2 and no crash! So you appear to be correct.

KenF: You can if you use two separate installations of the IDE.

You mean "instances". It (the later version) will not permit you to do this since attempts to do so simply open a new window on the same instance.

If you have two different versions installed, that may be another matter!

I normally have multiple Arduinos connected, but whatever COM port - and board - I select becomes that for all windows. (1.0)

Installed 1.5.7, can open 2 instances under Windows 7 x64.
Portable 1.5.8, can open 2 instances.
Single instance of 1.5.7 AND single instance of 1.5.8.

Each permutation permits 2 working serial monitors :- com4 mega2560, and com7 Due prog port. :smiley:

Regards,

Graham

Paul__B:
You mean “instances”. It (the later version) will not permit you to do this since attempts to do so simply open a new window on the same instance.
If you have two different versions installed, that may be another matter!

I can file… run… c:/arduino/1.0.5rev2/arduino.exe
Then file… run… c:/arduino/1.0.5rev2/arduino.exe AGAIN.
I get TWO instances of the same version of the IDE. They both operate independently. No issues.

BUT if I
file… run… c:/arduino/iderev1.0.6/arduino.exe
then file… run… c:/arduino/iderev1.0.6/arduino.exe AGAIN
I get TWO instances of the same version of the IDE. They both operate independently. But crash if I open the Serial monitor in both instances.

If, from the IDE, I use File… Open… I get a second copy of the IDE open but this is a child of the original instance. Not a separate instance.

Sounds like 1.0.6 is somewhat broken.