Can you use two unos on one laptop pc?

Hi, I purchased a second uno and it is not recognised when plugged in to a usb port on my pc laptop.

On investigation I think I can disable my first uno in device manager and install the new uno.

I'm reluctant to do this as I am a newbie and have just got my first arduino stepper motor sketches to work.

I would like to either use two unos at the same time or at the very least use either uno by swapping uno and NOT having to config the device manager and set the ports each time I swap unos.

Can you help please... can I just use a second usb port for uno number 2 and not mess up uno number one config?

To tell the truth it was quite a few steps to get the first uno to accept uploaded sketches and I don't fancy trying to retrace my steps again..

Thanks for any help and thank you for reading this far!

Brian.

BrianPollard:
On investigation I think I can disable my first uno in device manager and install the new uno.

That shouldn't be necessary. Is the second Uno recognized if you plug it in after unplugging the first Uno from your computer?

I use 2 Arduinos connected to the same PC all the time.

can I just use a second usb port for uno number 2 and not mess up uno number one config?

If you need to have two programs running at the same time, one on each Arduino, then start 2 instances of the IDE and choose a different COM port, and hence different Arduino, for each instance

2 instances of the IDE is only a temporary fix, as both use the same config and the config of the last closed IDE will be stored. Either patch arduino IDE. Or use two different user accounts. Or use arduino-cli and some decent editor (virtually all are better than the arduino IDE).

both use the same config

What IDE config do you mean ?

On Linux/*BSD it's to be found in ~/.arduino15/preferences.txt

pert:
That shouldn't be necessary. Is the second Uno recognized if you plug it in after unplugging the first Uno from your computer?

I'll give it a go... thank you.

zwieblum:
On Linux/*BSD it's to be found in ~/.arduino15/preferences.txt

The OP has said nothing about different preferences being set for each instance. In fact, he/she has told us very little about what they want to do apart from connecting 2 Unos to the same PC, which is no problem anyway

Oh, he has definitly talked about the config:
"Can you help please... can I just use a second usb port for uno number 2 and not mess up uno number one config?"

Read the sentence above:

BrianPollard:
I would like to either use two unos at the same time or at the very least use either uno by swapping uno and NOT having to config the device manager and set the ports each time I swap unos.

@BrianPollard is talking about the system configuration. Not the Arduino IDE's configuration.