Checking button state when making sound

Hi everyone, I am pretty new to this arduino programming. I am trying to do the following but I am a bit stuck on how to achieve this result.

I found some code that shows how to play a continuous sound through a speaker. I would like to implement into the code that if a certain switch is on then the sound will play, but if the switch is turned off then the sound wont play. I dont know how to implement this into the code, can someone please offer some guidance.

This is short code, I have seen some longer code with sounds which looks really cool but I cant figure out the switch settings to make the sound play or not.

int triggerPin = 7;
int echoPin = 8;
int pingPin = 5;

void loop()
{
if (digitalRead(pingPin) == HIGH)
{
int duration, distance;

digitalWrite(triggerPin, HIGH);
delay(10);

// my attempt here to check the pin state for the push of a button
if (digitalRead(pingPin) == LOW){ digitalWrite(triggerPin, LOW);}

digitalWrite(triggerPin, LOW);
duration = pulseIn(echoPin, HIGH);
distance = (duration / 2) / 29.1;
delay(500);
}
}

Appreciate any help...

You are missing [ code ] tags.

You are missing a setup() function so this won't compile.

I don't see any attempt to make sound. This looks like code for an ultrasonic distance sensor.

I would like to implement into the code that if a certain switch is on then the sound will play, but if the switch is turned off then the sound wont play.

If your question is about doing this with a switch and a continuous sound, then why did you post code about a ultrasonic sensor? Did you post the wrong code? Can you describe the requirements a little more carefully?

stevieb12:
if a certain switch is on then the sound will play, but if the switch is turned off then the sound wont play.

Simple. Place that switch in the wire that leads to the speaker.

The speaker is connected to pin3 and 5v-. My switch is connected to pin5 and gnd, switch is actually a jumper wire that i am manually connecting.

The rest of the code is what i have, its a simple example from the arduino examples using the ultrasonic sensor. I saw on another webpage where someone had modified the code and setup and I just went with that and it does make an annoying noise. While its making the noise I just what the noise to stop if I turn the switch off and play noise again if I flip the switch on.

int triggerPin = 7;
int echoPin = 8;
int led = 3;
int pingPin = 5;
int brightness = 0;
int fadeAmount = 5;

void setup() 
{

Serial.begin(9600);
 pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
 pinMode(triggerPin, OUTPUT);
 pinMode(echoPin, INPUT);

}

void loop() 
{
   if (digitalRead(pingPin) == HIGH)
   {
       int duration, distance;

digitalWrite(triggerPin, HIGH);
       delay(10);

digitalWrite(triggerPin, LOW);
       duration = pulseIn(echoPin, HIGH);
       distance = (duration / 2) / 29.1;

if (distance < 100  )
       {
     analogWrite(led,75);    Serial.print("ON");

}
       else {
         digitalWrite(led, LOW);
       }
       Serial.print(distance);
       Serial.print("cm");
       Serial.println(" ");

delay(500);
   }
}

Again I ask, you have a switch and a buzzer, why are you looking at completely unrelated code about a ultrasonic sensor?

Look at this example instead. Only difference is that you are driving a buzzer instead of an LED.

stevieb12:
The speaker is connected to pin3 and 5v-. My switch is connected to pin5 and gnd,

[...]

int led = 3;

int pingPin = 5;

So your speaker is called "led" and your switch called "ping"?

Posting the wrong code (as in, from another unrelated project) once can be an error. Posted the wrong code twice makes me think you're just trolling.

Delta_G:
Look at this example instead. Only difference is that you are driving a buzzer instead of an LED.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Button

Thanks Delta, this will definitely work.

Since this is my first project working with Arduino, I wanted to play some sound out of the speaker and know how to control the sound. The code I have was taken from this article.

It works pretty good, but I didn;t know how to control when on and when off. The only additional item that I added was a jumper wire so I could open and close the connection. Now I am on the hunt for some cool sounds.