CNC-Shield to control 4 steppers

Hello, I'm currently working on a school project where I need to control 4 stepper motors via one single Arduino Uno. Not having much experience with Arduino I thought that this board (https://www.amazon.de/Engraver-Printer-Shield-Expansion-Arduino/dp/B01N1S2SBY/ref=sr_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1510824020&sr=1-6&keywords=arduino+stepper+shield) would be able to do this.

Basically I need to be able to move each independent stepper motor a set amount of steps in a set direction, aswell as be able to read the signal of 4 momentary push buttons and controll one led.

I have no clue however on how to achieve this goal, so any help would be useful!

Here is some info on setting up the shield.

LordCuby: I have no clue however on how to achieve this goal, so any help would be useful!

You have not told us what you want the stepper motors to do.

If you are driving some sort of CNC machine then maybe the GRBL program would be appropriate.

If you want to learn how to write your own code to drive stepper motors then this Simple Stepper Code may help get you started. Get things working with a single motor before expanding your horizons.

...R Stepper Motor Basics

Ok, so basically it’s supposed to be a game. The led is going to light up at random intervals, at which point people press their button. The faster you press after the led lights up the further the stepper motor is supposed to rotate(the stepper will move a figure connected with those 3dprinter belts) . I’ve got this system set up for 2 players at the moment by using only the arduino Uno. The problem is that there are not enough ports to control 4 stepper motors directly from it. That’s where the cnc shield comes in. My hope is that I’ll somehow be able to extend the game to 4 players with the use of the shield. The problem however is that I have no idea how to wire the shield and how to tell it to do the right things. Hopefully this makes a bit more sense?

LordCuby: The problem however is that I have no idea how to wire the shield and how to tell it to do the right things.

Have you carefully studied the link in Reply #1?

Also, the Pololu A4988 web page has very good connection diagram and lots of other information.

In simple terms the step and direction pins for each stepper motor driver will connect to Arduino I/O pins. As I said in Reply #2, start by figuring out how to connect and control one motor driver and one motor.

Be very careful NEVER to disconnect the wires between the motor and the driver when the driver is powered - that will instantly destroy the driver.

...R

PS ... it's not clear from your Original Post whether you bought the shield with, or without the A4988 drivers. The drivers are essential - one for each motor.

Here is how the Uno pins relate the CNC shield.

You can use the 3 limit switch connections for 3 of the 4 switches. The analog input pins are all free for the remaining switch and LED control.