Coil winder project

Hi,

I'm new to Arduino, have little programming experience, and need your help go get started. I've done some research but I really need your guide if I'm going into right direction, or maybe I need different controller???

About project:

I'm gonna make nc coil winder. Plan is to make it open source. All parts available to bay on te market or 3d print, with tutorial, plans etc. I think there is a need for a proper professional coil wonder to wind perfect coils, transformers, pick ups that anyone can do. At least I need one :slight_smile:

...Im ok with design and build the machine

More details:
-All operation to be done without need for pc
-LCD for user menu, rotary push button encoder to write data
-MDI and Memory mode

• programs will be simple, like: How many revolutions, wire thickness, coil dia, coil length, and how many leyers.
  • save, write, and run programs from memory
    -hardware: 2 x dc motors, 1 stepper, LCD, 4 rotary encoders, some buttons and 2 limit switches.
  • controller(while running cycle) need to read data from encoders and interact accordingly with dc motors and stepper(close loop). For example when winding on a rectangular, tension on a wire will very and to keep it even encoder will send data, and controller need to adjust speed on dc motor.

I'm thinking of using Arduino mega + LCD 12864 + uStepper(for stepper) + VNH2SP30(for 2xdc motors)

Do you think this setup is right for this job??? Will Arduino have enough power? I want to learn to programme(probably will need help) but just need to know Im on right track.

Sorry for my English
Thanks

I recommend DON'T use any DC motors. Use one stepper to turn the coil form and a second to move the wire feeder back and forth to lay neat layers.

You should definitely spend some time looking at what others have done. This is a fairly popular project. I'm not saying you need to copy their projects exactly, only to get some ideas on what they did well and what could be done better. There's even an interesting YouTube video of someone who made an attachment for a 3D printer to make flat coils.

You will need a method to keep the wire taut, some kind of friction adjustment.

The pro way to maintain tension is what's called a hysteresis brake. They're really neat. Instead of friction, they use magnetism for tension. They will typically be adjustable through a certain range. You can get purely mechanical ones or electrical ones. Unfortunately they're a bit spendy. I needed one for a project but didn't want to spend much and it took 6 months watching for a reasonably priced used one on eBay and I still ended up spending $30!

Thanks all for your ideas. I will probably take your advice and use stopper as spindle. About keeping tension I've got my own idea which I want to check out, it will be fully controlled and not by friction.

Question is, do you think Arduino mega will handle all tasks???

johnwasser:
I recommend DON'T use any DC motors. Use one stepper to turn the coil form and a second to move the wire feeder back and forth to lay neat layers.

Is the second motor necessary?

A sewing machine winds its bobbins very neatly at high speed without anything to guide the thread. I presume the tension is carefully chosen.

...R

tomekzal:
Question is, do you think Arduino mega will handle all tasks???

Yes, an Arduino Mega is more than capable of handling a display and a stepper motor. You could get a RAMPS 1.4 setup for $36 on Amazon Prime. That includes the Arduino MEGA 2560, 128x64 graphics display with shaft-encoder input, and five stepper motor drivers.
https://www.amazon.com/BIQU-Mega2560-Control-Controller-Stepstick/dp/B075CZ7PVW/ref=sr_1_23?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1535288498&sr=1-23&keywords=RAMPS+1.4

Hi,
This might help.

This magazine has free login and then you can access the entire article.

Tom.. :slight_smile:

How is this project coming along. I am thinking of trying to make a transfomer winder as well. Any insights would be appreciated.

larryd:
You will need a method to keep the wire taut, some kind of friction adjustment.

Most use a spring wire feeder or a weight displacement arrangement especially on fine wire.
mmm...oooollldddd thread.