Communicating between a computer and the Arduino Mega

For the past few weeks I've been trying to create a way of communicating between my computer and the arduino mega over usb , what im trying to control 4 servos(1 infinite rotations and the rest have fixed rotations) i've been using the serial monitor , but i need a way to send data to the arudino over usb , and i need it to send continuous data , because with the serial monitor i had to write the command and press enter, kind of like a chat box, but i need something like a controller where if i hold w for 3 seconds it will receive w for 3 seconds in real time without me having to press enter.

Thank you,
Adrian B.

You need a terminal program. If you are running Windows check out Hyperterm. i don't think it requires an ENTER after each character but it's been a while since I used Hyperterm. Last time I used it it was tricky to make it work with a dedicated terminal connection. It likes to connect to a modem with handshaking, or used to. There may be other better suited terminal programs available. If you are running Linux then it's easy, just run minicom.py.

JIm.

PS I just did a search and found RealTerm which looks like it'll work just fine.http://sourceforge.net/projects/realterm/

I'm not completely clear what you are trying to do. It sounds like you want to press a key on your PC and have the Arduino keep doing something while the button is pressed.

If so you need a program on your PC that can detect when the key goes down and sends a start code to the Arduino. Later it will detect when the key goes up and send a stop code to the Arduino. It is not practical to do this by sending a stream of repeat characters.

On the other hand if you just want to send a character to the Arduino without having to press return you can use another terminal program such as puTTY in place of the Arduino Serial Monitor.

The examples in serial input basics may be useful. Also you may be interested in the demo using Python to talk to an Arduino.

...R

I agree with Robin2, PutTTY is also an option for serial terminal. I see where Hyperterm no longer ships with Windows so it's not a option.

Jim

I saw a tutorial on wireless communication in which putty was used but it was used to configure a wireless adapter for the arduino.But i got a few questions when opening putty what should i set the configuration to ?

I'm new to arduino, and i don't have a lot of background in programming in C# and I've never used PutTTY , What do i need to add to the code for the arduino to be able to receive the keys im gonna be sending .
Ill be sending the following keys : W, A, S, D, ARROW UP, ARROW DOWN, Q, E .BTW I do know how to find what port the arduino is on .

GGgamer16:
What do i need to add to the code for the arduino to be able to receive the keys im gonna be sending .
Ill be sending the following keys : W, A, S, D, ARROW UP, ARROW DOWN, Q, E .

That's why I already gave you a link to serial input basics. If you read it and have questions please tell me what they are.

You will have to figure out what character the PC sends when you push the arrow keys. It's possible it does not send any and you will have to use different keys (perhaps ^ and v) - or write your own PC program.

...R