Communicating with USB w/ Uno

Basically what I mean by can I use my USB to communicate is, once I load the code onto the Uno and close the sketch, would I still be able to receive data from the host device, basically turning into any other peripheral device like a keyboard per say.

E.g. If I wanted the computer to give me a letter to display in Braille, could I do that without the Arduino Sketch open?

Also (ieee448) I appreciate your help and taking your time to respond to me!

justcunn:
Basically what I mean by can I use my USB to communicate is, once I load the code onto the Uno and close the sketch, would I still be able to receive data from the host device, basically turning into any other peripheral device like a keyboard per say.

E.g. If I wanted the computer to give me a letter to display in Braille, could I do that without the Arduino Sketch open?

You can anything you want that the Arduino can do as long as your sketch is written to do it.

An Arduino without a sketch doesn't do much.

Your questions indicate that you need to start small and learn.

justcunn:
Basically what I mean by can I use my USB to communicate is, once I load the code onto the Uno and close the sketch, would I still be able to

The Arduino IDE only compiles and uploads the program to the Uno. Once that program is uploaded, it runs on the ATmega328P microcontroller of the Uno. So all you need to do is supply power to the Uno and it runs the program, even if there is no connection to your computer. The Uno is kind of like a little cheap computer with very limited resources.