Compilation Error Exit status 1

Hello everyone!

I have a kit with ESP32-Wroom-32. I have Arduino IDE 2.3.2 on Windows 10 Pro. I am struggling to compile a basic sketch. The code is given below

void setup() {
  // initialize serial communication at 9600 bits per second:
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {

Serial.println("Hello World");
  delay(1);  // delay in between reads for stability
}

The error I receive is

xtensa-esp32-elf-g++: fatal error: cannot execute 'c:/users/dell/appdata/local/arduino15/packages/esp32/tools/esp-x32/2302/bin/../libexec/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/12.2.0/cc1plus.exe': CreateProcess: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Compilation error: exit status 1

Please help me in resolving above issue.

Thanks & regards.

If you navigate to the given directory, does the file cc1plus.exe exist? If not, two possible reasons

1. Your antivirus software has quarantined the file. Check your AV logs and exclude the directory.
  2. Your installation is corrupt. In that case, a possible solution is to downgrade the board package and next upgrade it again.

Note:
Files and directories in AppData might be hidden by Windows; you can make them visible in tools/options in Windows Explorer; I think (I'm not a Windows user at the moment) it's called "view hidden files and directories".

Thanks sterretje!

I uninstalled IDE 2.3.2 and installed 1.8.19 and it worked.

Glad you got it working.

I did not suggest to downgrade the IDE :smiley: I was talking about the board package.