Compiler/download issue?- no default directories

Hi whenever I try to use a default directory it comes up with the error "iostream: No such file or directory"

This happened when trying to use vectors too. I've uninstalled and re-installed and it's still the same. I have no Arduino file in my Program Files and when I go to "Include Libraries" in the sketch drop down "Arduino Libraries" is grey-ed out.

I've tried to look up if there's a way I can manually download them but I just keep getting instructions on how to add personal libraries.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Many thanks
Rachael.

What is your host and what version of the IDE?

Rachael_N:
Hi whenever I try to use a default directory it comes up with the error "iostream: No such file or directory"

This happened when trying to use vectors too.

I'm guessing you're compiling for an AVR board (e.g. Uno). You need to understand that you're programming an 8 bit microcontroller with very limited resources. For this reason, the toolchain only contains a subset of the features you'd expect when writing C++ code that runs on a computer. It is possible to install a 3rd party STL (standard template library) library that will provide those files for AVR. I can't recommend one in particular because I haven't used them but a bit of googling will get you plenty of info. On the boards that use a more capable architecture (e.g. SAMD, ESP8266, ESP32), those files are part of the toolchain and you don't need to install anything additional.

Rachael_N:
when I go to "Include Libraries" in the sketch drop down "Arduino Libraries" is grey-ed out.

That's the expected and correct behavior. "Arduino Libraries" is a section header in the menu. It's not intended to be clickable.

Thanks for the clarification! STL was the terminology I needed to find a download.

I'm glad to hear you found it. Enjoy!
Per