Connect 12V fan Via Relay to Arduino Uno

Hello everyone

Today i’m working (trying, to be precise) on a project to use a 12V Fan Via a Relay to my Arduino Uno

Just to let you all know, i haven’t got much knowledge on this at all…

I don’t have any Code to use, so i’d appreciate it if someone could post code for me to use.

I want to know what to connect to what, where must the relay and fan be connected to, also how XD

This is what i have:
1 X Arduino UNO R3
1 X Relay (don’t know what type it is… lol)
1 X 12V Fan
1 X 12V Power Supply (external power source for the fan/relay)
1 X Breadboard

Please have a look at what i have, from the image posted.

—Ryner

Hello, I am trying to accomplish a similar project but I have -0 knowledge of this Arduino stuff...

can you and/or anyone point in the right direction? (complete and utter noob)

I would like to make a 12volt - 14.4 volt thermostatically controlled fan relay for an automobile with A/C trigger.

I have used MANY different hardware type of PWM's and all have FAILED. Would like to try something new.

Thank you in advance.

Ditch the relay look at MOSFET's in the playground. A 12V fan should not be controlled via a relay. You could also look at motor controllers. There is one in the products section here that should do the job!.

Relays are for fools.

Mark

Ditch the relay look at MOSFET's in the playground. A 12V fan should not be controlled via a relay. Relays are for fools.

I hope you are joking with that BS. :slight_smile:

This tutorial shows how to run a motor from a transistor, and here is how to switch a relay with a transistor.

Since it seems one should use a transistor to switch a relay, you might as well just use the transistor to switch the motor, unless the motor is so huge that it is beyond the capabilities of the transistor and actually needs a relay.

I love those UMass tuts- the schematics and photos are cool 8)

Relays can electrically isolate the arduino from the load being switched. Transistors maybe not so much.