Connect Arduino Mega 2560 to IOT cloud

Hi everyone,
I have a working setup that looks somewhat like this:


1 IR sensor, that controls the 5 LEDs, a RTC module, a DHT22 temp/humidity sensor and 10 Relays.

I was hoping to just drop in the ESP8266 ESP-01 into the working setup and get started with controling it over WIFI with Arduino IOT cloud.

In another thread I leared that its not quite as simple as that, and I'd have to think about board to board communication then...
Here is mentioned thread:

I'm lacking the experience whats the easiest way to go here:

  1. move my whole setup to an IOT cloud compatable Arduino device and potentially have to extend the pin capabiliy
  2. Connecting a Wifi module (like the ESP8622) and make the board to board communication work.
  3. ??? something I haven't concidered yet

I hope somebody can drop me some wisdom.
Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:
Marius

if you are thinking of using a Mega-WiFi_R3_ATmega2560_ESP8266 board which overcomes the problems of connecting a Mega to an ESP8266 have a look at #post 39

Fantastic, that seems to solve all my issues. Thanks a lot horace! I'll look into it

Since you seem well short of utilising the i/o of the Mega, you might find it simpler and cheaper to use a NodeMCU or an ESP-32 and dispense with Arduino altogether.

Almost always the better idea. The active-low relay modules are readily controlled by a PCF8575 Port Expander Module which will operate 16 of them and the RTC is easy to interface.

A WeMOS D1 Mini is somewhat cheaper than the NodeMCU and the "extra" pins on the latter are illusory.